1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Numbers

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    1) A mathemetician is willing to sell you something valued at $i^i. Would you pay him 20 cents for it?

2) Let z=(z1/z2) where z1 = a+ib and z2 = c+id. Show the angle of z is the difference between angle z1 and z2.

3) Show that multiplying any vector by e^ix doesn't alter its length.

My attempts:

1) Tried using cosx + isinx to no avail. Honestly have no idea where to begin.
    2) First I found the z by multiplying it out. let x be the angle. so i did tanx = bc-ad/ac+bd. Individually, you get tanx1 = b/a and tanx2=d/c which is not the same.
    3) in the length formula i end up with cos^2-sin^2 which does alter length.

ruined my thanks giving, so i give up onthese.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2
    You're more or less on the right track...use Euler's formula/identity.

Again, this is correct. You just need to show that difference of the angles is equal to arctan((bc-ad)/(ac+bd)). Look up trig. identites.

I don't quite understand what question 3 asks for. Sorry.
  4. Oct 13, 2007 #3
    Euler's Identity

So you're solving for [tex]i^i[/tex]. The Euler's Identity states that [tex]e^{\pi i}+1=0[/tex]. Using just this identity, many other quantities can be derived, including our [tex]i^i[/tex].

Start by subtracting [tex]1[/tex] from both sides, then getting the square root of both sides:
    [tex]e^{\frac{1}{2}\pi i}=(-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

[tex](-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] obviously can be written as [tex]\sqrt{-1}[/tex], which simplifies to [tex]i[/tex]:
    [tex]e^{\frac{1}{2}\pi i}=i[/tex]

Now raise both sides to the power of [tex]\frac{1}{i}[/tex]:
    [tex]e^{\frac{1}{2}\pi i\frac{1}{i}}=i^{\frac{1}{i}}[/tex]

Since [tex]\frac{1}{i}[/tex] equals [tex]i^{-1}[/tex], substitute:

Now simply raise both sides to the power of [tex]-1[/tex]:

And voila: [tex]i^{i} = e^{-\frac{1}{2}\pi} = 0.207879576 ...[/tex]

Now you be the economist and tell me whether you will accept the offer or not.
  5. Oct 13, 2007 #4
    Close. We want to have the magnitude (absolute value) of e^ix = 1. So we write e^ix in the form of cos(x)+isin(x). Finding the magnitude of this is done by finding the square root of the sum of the squares so sqrt(cos(x)^2 + sin(x)^2). You'll notice that the i dropped out. This is because the definition of the magnitude of a set of terms is simply sqrt(t1^2+t2^2+...tn^2). We don't care that i^2 is -1, we still sum the term.

I think you'll agree that cos(x)^2+sin(x)^2 is 1 and that sqrt(1) is 1.

To the mods, the only reason I gave the full answer was that the OP was basically there, s/he just needed to see why it was positive sin(x)^2.
  6. Oct 14, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

For 3, the simplest way to do it is to write the general complex number in polar form:

[tex]z= r e^{i\theta}[/tex].

Which quantity gives the length? Does multiplying by [itex]e^{ix}[/itex] affect this quantity?
  7. Oct 14, 2007 #6
    for second question a quicker way is to convert to the polar form and then u can see the angle of z1/z2

for first question i=e^i*pi/2 (since sine(pi/2)=1) raise this to "i" power u immediately get e^-pi/2.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  8. Oct 14, 2007 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Good work, but try to stick to one notation for the imaginary unit at a time. Are you a physics or engineering student?
  9. Oct 14, 2007 #8
    lol sorry EE undergraduate hehe

EDIT: everything changed to i now
  10. Oct 14, 2007 #9
    That's not really a proof. That's saying that e^xi doesn't affect the length because... well it doesn't affect the length.
  11. Oct 14, 2007 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I disagree. You can always calculate the norm of the vector before and after, and show that it is the same.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?