1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG][​IMG]

Could someone confirm that the a) part is correct, and if it is, then what is the next step? :)
    And im not exactly sure what to do in the b) part.

I would really appriciate if someone could help me out with this. :)

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

NO, (a) is not correct because you haven't answered the question! I think you have misunderstood what is asked. If you were asked to find [itex]^4\sqrt{16}[/itex], you wouldn't answer "161/4"!

Don't change from polar to rectangular form until after you have done the root! One important reason for using polar form for complex numbers is the fact that
    [tex][r (cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)]^n= r^n(cos(n\theta)+ i sin(n\theta))[/tex]

For n= 1/4,
    [tex](7(cos(\pi/2)+ i sin(\pi/2))^{1/4}= 7^{1/4}(cos(\pi/8)+ i sin(\pi/8))[/tex]
    Also, since adding [itex]2\pi[/itex] to the argument doesn't change the complex number, and [itex]2\pi/4= \pi/2[/itex] another fourth root is
    [tex]7^{1/4}(cos(\pi/4+ \pi/2)+ i sin(\pi/4+ \pi/2))[/tex]
    yet another is
    [tex]7^{1/4}(cos(\pi/4+ \pi)+ i sin(\pi/4+ \pi))[/tex]
    and, finally,
    [tex]7^{1/4}(coS(\pi/4+ 3\pi/2)+ i sin(\pi/4+ 3\pi/2))[/tex]

Those are the four fourth roots of [itex]7(cos(\pi/2)+ i sin(\pi/2))= 7i[/itex]

4. Nov 21, 2008 #3
    Edit: Shows what I know. Listen to HallsofIvy instead

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  5. Nov 23, 2008 #4
    whith out finding all roots'
    [​IMG]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?