Confirm a) & Solve b): Homework Help

• Thread starter battery2004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the fourth root of a complex number in polar form. The correct method is to first find the root and then convert to rectangular form. The formula for finding the root is also provided. There are multiple ways to express the fourth root in polar form, which are shown using various angles.
battery2004

Homework Statement

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/999/ksknl6.th.jpg http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

Could someone confirm that the a) part is correct, and if it is, then what is the next step? :)
And I am not exactly sure what to do in the b) part.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with this. :)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
NO, (a) is not correct because you haven't answered the question! I think you have misunderstood what is asked. If you were asked to find [itex]^4\sqrt{16}[/itex], you wouldn't answer "161/4"!

Don't change from polar to rectangular form until after you have done the root! One important reason for using polar form for complex numbers is the fact that
[tex][r (cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)]^n= r^n(cos(n\theta)+ i sin(n\theta))[/tex]

For n= 1/4,
[tex](7(cos(\pi/2)+ i sin(\pi/2))^{1/4}= 7^{1/4}(cos(\pi/8)+ i sin(\pi/8))[/tex]
Also, since adding [itex]2\pi[/itex] to the argument doesn't change the complex number, and [itex]2\pi/4= \pi/2[/itex] another fourth root is
[tex]7^{1/4}(cos(\pi/4+ \pi/2)+ i sin(\pi/4+ \pi/2))[/tex]
yet another is
[tex]7^{1/4}(cos(\pi/4+ \pi)+ i sin(\pi/4+ \pi))[/tex]
and, finally,
[tex]7^{1/4}(coS(\pi/4+ 3\pi/2)+ i sin(\pi/4+ 3\pi/2))[/tex]

Those are the four fourth roots of [itex]7(cos(\pi/2)+ i sin(\pi/2))= 7i[/itex]

Edit: Shows what I know. Listen to HallsofIvy instead

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does it mean to "confirm" and "solve" in homework help?

When we talk about "confirming" in homework help, it means to check the accuracy or validity of something. This could involve verifying a solution to a problem or ensuring that all steps have been followed correctly. On the other hand, "solving" in homework help refers to finding a solution or answer to a problem or question.

2. How can I confirm my answer is correct?

One way to confirm your answer is correct is by checking it using a different method or approach. This can help catch any errors or mistakes that may have been made. Additionally, you can also ask a classmate or teacher to review your solution and provide feedback.

3. Can I use the internet to confirm and solve my homework?

While the internet can be a helpful resource for homework help, it is important to use it responsibly. You can use online resources to confirm your solution or find additional explanations, but it is not recommended to simply copy and paste answers from the internet. This can hinder your understanding and lead to plagiarism.

4. What should I do if I am unable to solve a homework problem?

If you are struggling to solve a homework problem, it is important to seek help. This could involve asking your teacher or a tutor for assistance, or collaborating with classmates to work through the problem together. It is also a good idea to review any relevant notes or textbooks for similar examples that may help guide you to a solution.

5. Is it important to confirm and solve homework problems?

Yes, it is crucial to confirm and solve homework problems as it helps to solidify your understanding of the material. By confirming your solution and understanding the steps to solving a problem, you are better prepared for exams and future assignments. Additionally, it allows you to identify any areas where you may need additional practice or review.