1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys.
    I got this question and I don't know where to start.
    There is a little hint, which is to show that the numerator is smaller then 5 and the enumerator is bigger then 3(1-abs(z)).
    Any idea guys?
    10x.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      4.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What exactly is the question? Are you supposed to prove that
    [tex]|\frac{3 + z^{3n} - |z|}{3 - z^{5n} + x^{4n} -z}| \leq \frac{5}{3(1 - |z|)}[/tex]?
    If so, that's not much of a hint, because it's essentially what you need to do.
    If that's not what you need to do, then I have no clue.

4. Nov 24, 2008 #3
    Yeah, that's the question.

Well, how do you do that?

5. Nov 24, 2008 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't know how to prove this. I've spent a little time, but nothing seems to pop out at me as an approach. Before I spend any more time on it, is there any more to this problem? All I know so far is that z is complex, |z| <= 1, and that you are to prove the inequality above, which you neglected to mention in your first post.

Is there anything else you have neglected to mention?

6. Nov 24, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A major problem is that is it NOT true! If z= 1, the denominator on the right side is 0 while the denominator on the left is not. If z is close to 1, then the right side will be extremely large while the left side is close to 3/2.

7. Nov 24, 2008 #6
    Hey.

I didn't posted the entire problem because it's in Hebrew :smile:.
    I'm sorry if I didn't make my self clear. Yeah, I need to prove this inequality.
    I didn't neglect any thing else.

10x.

8. Nov 24, 2008 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think that's really a problem because of the direction of the inequality.... surely [tex]\frac{3}{2} \leq \infty[/tex] ?

9. Nov 24, 2008 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You did neglect something....are there any restrictions on [itex]n[/itex]? Surely it has to be a positive integer?

10. Nov 24, 2008 #9
    This is the entire problem (in Hebrew), I don't see any restrictions on n.
    But lets say it's positive, any ideas?

10x.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      9.9 KB
      Views:
  11. Nov 24, 2008 #10
    The things you need to know:

1: Since |z|≤1, we have for any positive integer k that |z|^(kn) ≤ |z| (assuming that n is positive)
    2: Use the triangle inequality -- |a+b| ≤ |a| + |b| -- and its counterpart, |a-b| ≥ ||a| - |b||
    3: As the problem hint suggests, prove the absolute value of the numerator is at most 5 and that the absolute value of the denominator is at least 3 - 3|z|.

12. Nov 25, 2008 #11
    Ok, but in the problem, it's not |z|^(3n), it's z^(3n).
    Lets talk about the numerator, I know that 3 > 3-|z| >= 2 so what I need to prove is that z^(3n) <= 2, right?
    Well, how can I prove just a thing?

10x.

13. Nov 25, 2008 #12
    |z^(3n)| = |z|^(3n)

No, you're trying to provide an upper bound on the magnitude of the numerator, so proving 3 ≥ 3-|z| ≥ 2 is not helpful. Also, you do not need to prove that z^(3n) ≤ 2, and indeed, since z is a complex number, it may not be comparable to 2 (a≤b only makes sense if a and b are both real).

What you need to prove is: |3 + z^(3n) - |z|| ≤ 5

The first step here is to apply the triangle inequality, so we have:

|3 + z^(3n) - |z|| ≤ |3| + |z^(3n)| + |-|z|| = 3 + |z|^(3n) + |z|.

so it suffices to show that 3 + |z|^(3n) + |z| ≤ 5. Can you see how to do that with what I've showed you?

Obvious hint:
    Note that |z|^(3n) ≤ |z| ≤ 1

14. Nov 25, 2008 #13
    Yeah, I can see that, 10x a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?