1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex numbers =]

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    quick note, i am not allowed to use a calculator when doing these questions!

1: if Z = -i and W = 3+3i
    find arg(z) and arg(w)

2: 2Z + z[tex]^{-}[/tex](that's the conjugate symbol) = a+2i
    then z =

3: |z-i| <=1, what would it look like?, describe it's position from the point 0,0

my attempts

1:
    z=well i'd use tan^-1 (-1/0) but that's un defined so i'm not quite sure and im not allowed to use a calculator

w=tan^-1(3/3) = 45 degrees,(tan inverse of 1 is 45 degrees?

2: no idea hwo to solve this

3: well because it's -i, i know the centre of the circle is bellow y=0, not sure for the rest

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Draw z=-i on an argand diagram and the answer should be clear. Your answers should be in radians so convert 45 degrees to radians.

Put Z=x+iy, then find the conjugate of this. Sub into the equation, equate the real and imaginary terms

Yes it is a circle. If you aren't sure how to figure it out from the complex form put z=x+iy and form the Cartesian equation

[tex]|X+iY|=\sqrt{X^2+Y^2}[/tex]

4. Jun 3, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

|a- b| represents the distance from a to b. |z- i| is the distance from the point z to i. |z-i|= 1 represents all points whose distance from i is 1 and so is a circle with center i (NOT -i) and radius 1. Finally |z-i|< 1 is the disk of points inside that circle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook