Solving a Red Equation: Where Did I Go Wrong?

• Thread starter asi123
  • Start date
In summary, a person is seeking help with solving an equation that they have in red. They provide a picture of the equation and explain that they have come up with 2*t0 as the solution. However, when they solve it in Mathematica, they only get t0 and the answer in the book is also t0. They ask for clarification on where their mistake may be and provide additional questions about the meaning of t0 and its relation to t2.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.
I have this equation in red (in the pic) which I need to solve

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9323/scan0004n.jpg

As you can see I came up with with 2*t0.
When I solve it in Matematica I come up with t2=t0 without the 2.
Also, their answer in the book is also only t0.
Can someone please tell me where is my mistake please?

Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks good until the final line. Why have you suddenly changed from T = t2 to T = 2t0? What is t0? How does it relate to t2?

1. What is a red equation?

A red equation is a mathematical equation that has been solved incorrectly, resulting in a final answer that is incorrect or inconsistent with the given problem.

2. How do I know if I have solved a red equation?

If your final answer does not make sense or does not match the given problem, then you may have solved a red equation. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps were done correctly.

3. What are common mistakes that lead to red equations?

One common mistake is using the wrong order of operations, which can result in a different answer than intended. Another mistake is making a calculation error, such as adding or multiplying incorrectly. Not properly translating words into mathematical symbols can also lead to a red equation.

4. How can I avoid making red equations?

To avoid making red equations, it is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are done accurately. Also, be sure to follow the proper order of operations and take your time with each step to avoid making simple mistakes.

5. What should I do if I realize I have solved a red equation?

If you realize you have solved a red equation, the first thing to do is to retrace your steps and identify where you went wrong. Then, make the necessary corrections and re-solve the equation to get the correct answer. It may also be helpful to ask for assistance from a teacher or colleague.