Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Complex numbers

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if [tex]\theta[/tex] is not a multiple of [tex]2\pi[/tex] then

[tex]Im\left(\frac{1-e^{i(n+1)\theta}}{1-e^{i\theta}}\right)=\frac{sin\left(\frac{1}{2}(n+1)\theta\right)sin(\frac{1}{2}n\theta)}{sin\frac{1}{2}\theta}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]e^{i\theta}=cos\theta+isin\theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I noticed that [tex]\frac{1-e^{i(n+1)\theta}}{1-e^{i\theta}}\right)[/tex] is a geometric summation with [tex]e^{i\theta}=r[/tex] then we have:

[tex]1+e^{i\theta}+e^{i2\theta}+...+e^{in\theta}[/tex]

So,

[tex]Im\left(1+e^{i\theta}+e^{i2\theta}+...+e^{in\theta}\right)=sin\theta+sin2\theta+...+sin(n\theta)[/tex]

I have no idea how to show this summation is equal to what I have to show. Most likely I'm not even headed in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you can express your quantity in the form a+ib, then it's easy to find Im(a+ib)=b. First multiply numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator and then split stuff into real and imaginary parts.

4. Mar 13, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Ok then I have [tex]
    \frac{1-e^{i(n+1)\theta}}{1-e^{i\theta}}\right)=\frac{1-cos(n+1)\theta-isin(n+1)\theta}{1-cos\theta-isin\theta}
    [/tex]

Multiplying through by the conjugate and expanding:

[tex]\frac{1-cos\theta+isin\theta-cos(n+1)\theta+isin(n+1)\theta+cos\theta cos(n+1)\theta +icos\theta sin(n+1)\theta +isin\theta cos(n+1)\theta -sin\theta sin(n+1)\theta}{2-2cos\theta}[/tex]

Just the imaginary part now, and simplifying since [tex]sin\theta cos(n+1)\theta +cos\theta sin(n+1)\theta=sin(n+2)\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{sin\theta+sin(n+1)\theta+sin(n+2)\theta}{2(1-cos\theta)}[/tex]

Seems interesting, because of the pattern. But I'm unsure what I can do from here...

5. Mar 13, 2010 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If the expression I showed is supposed to be equal to what I'm trying to show, then I must've failed to expand correctly.
    Using a simple case of n=1, [tex]\frac{sin\left(\frac{1}{2}(n+1 )\theta\right)sin(\frac{1}{2}n\theta)}{sin\frac{1} {2}\theta}[/tex] is supposed to be [tex]sin\theta[/tex]. I graphed my expression and it is definitely equal to [tex]sin\theta[/tex]...

I'll check over my expanding again.

6. Mar 13, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use some trig identities. I can see right away that your denominator is sin(theta/2)^2.

7. Mar 13, 2010 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Ok I did the algebra slowly and got the correct result now.

It's

[tex]\frac{sin\theta+sin n\theta-sin(n+1)\theta}{2-2cos\theta}[/tex]

I have to somehow show this is equal to

[tex]
    \frac{sin\left(\frac{1}{2}(n+1 )\theta\right)sin(\frac{1}{2}n\theta)}{sin\frac{1} {2}\theta}
    [/tex]

8. Mar 13, 2010 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

It's been a while since I used half-angle trig identities so I don't remember them off-hand. I'll see if I can derive them in that case...

But really, this topic is on complex numbers. I don't see why it would go into such great depths to test my algebra and trigonometry skills.

9. Mar 13, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I suppose. Might have been better to have you prove the result in the form you got first and skip the tricky trig.

10. Mar 13, 2010 #9

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Well, we've already started on this method, let's not lose the momentum thus far :smile:

So [tex]2-2cos\theta=4sin^2(\theta/2)[/tex]

and to get anywhere with the numerator, I had to cheat a little bit. Using the answer that I need to find, by the double-angle formula:

[tex]sin\left(\frac{1}{2}(n+1)\theta\right)sin\left(\frac{n\theta}{2}\right)=sin\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)cos\left(\frac{n\theta}{2}\right)sin\left(\frac{n\theta}{2}\right)+cos\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)sin^2\left(\frac{n\theta}{2}\right)[/tex]

and

[tex]2sinxcosx=sin(2x)[/tex]

so it can be simplified to

[tex]\frac{1}{2}sin\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)sin\left(n\theta\right)+cos\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)sin^2\left(\frac{n\theta}{2}\right)[/tex]

Any other identities I can exploit?

11. Mar 13, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Arrrgh. Finally got it. I was going in circles for while. I'll write t for theta.
    i) Expand sin(nt+t) in the numerator using the sin addition formula.
    ii) Combine with the other two terms looking to get (1-cos(something*t)) factors.
    iii) Change the (1-cos(something*t)) stuff into sin(something*t/2)^2.
    iv) Change the remaining t stuff into t/2 stuff using sin(x)=2*sin(x/2)*cos(x/2).
    v) Pull out the common factors and recognize what's left as another sin addition formula.

Let's not do that again soon. And I totally agree, not much to do with complex numbers here.

12. Mar 13, 2010 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

One trick you can use is to note that

[tex]1-e^{ix} = e^{ix/2}(e^{-ix/2}-e^{ix/2})=-2ie^{ix/2}\sin(x/2)[/tex]

13. Mar 13, 2010 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah! That helps. I was looking for an easier way to do it once I started messing with the trig. But I didn't look back far enough. Thanks!

14. Mar 14, 2010 #13

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Well this question is unfair for those few people that don't know that equality off by heart :biggrin:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook