Solving for w in Complex Equation: Help Needed

In summary, to prove that for w≠+-1, w a complex number, there are exactly two solutions to the equation w=0.5(z+1/z), one can use the quadratic formula to find the solutions. By substituting a value for either w or z, the other can be determined. This is because the equation results in a quadratic equation with two unknowns, which means there are two possible solutions for z. Additionally, a search for "complex numbers solve square root" can provide further assistance in understanding how to solve for these solutions.
Macarenses
How does one prove that for w≠+-1 , w a complex number, there are exactly 2 solutions to the equation w=0.5(z+1/z)? I'm at a total loss here. Could someone clue me in on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Macarenses said:
How does one prove that for w≠+-1 , w a complex number, there are exactly 2 solutions to the equation w=0.5(z+1/z)? I'm at a total loss here. Could someone clue me in on this one?
What if you multiplied each side by 2z?

Last edited:
The best way to prove there are two solutions is to find them! That is what ramsey2879 is suggesting.

HallsofIvy said:
The best way to prove there are two solutions is to find them! That is what ramsey2879 is suggesting.
I do believe that the quadratic formula will work for equations with complex coefficients even if it is not clear (at least to me) how to find the square root of a complex number. Just write the solution out in the radical form simplified as far as posible.

Do a internet search: complex numbers solve square root

w=0.5(z+1/z)
w=0.5z+0.5/z
wz=0.5z^2+0.5
0.5z^2+0.5-wz=0

If you could substitute a value of either w or z you could work out the other using Quadratic Formula

x = (-b +- sqrt(b^2-4ac))/2a

Other than this, I can't see how you solve it since you have 2 unknowns. Either way you have a squared value for z so z has 2 solutions.

Sorry if I was no help, this is my first post here as I just joined today. :)

1. What is the process for solving for w in a complex equation?

The process for solving for w in a complex equation involves manipulating the equation using algebraic operations to isolate the variable w on one side of the equation. This may include combining like terms, using the distributive property, and applying inverse operations.

2. How do I know if my solution for w is correct?

To check if your solution for w is correct, you can substitute the value of w back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your solution is correct. You can also check your work by using a graphing calculator or solving the equation using a different method.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for w in a complex equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for w in a complex equation include forgetting to distribute a negative sign, making a calculation error, or incorrectly applying the order of operations. It is important to double check your work and identify any potential errors.

4. Can I use the quadratic formula to solve for w in a complex equation?

Yes, you can use the quadratic formula to solve for w in a complex equation, as long as the equation is in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. However, in some cases, the solutions for w may be complex numbers instead of real numbers.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving complex equations for w?

There are no specific shortcuts or tricks for solving complex equations for w, but it can be helpful to simplify the equation as much as possible before attempting to solve for w. Breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps can also make the process easier.