Transforming Lines to Circles in the w-plane

In summary, the transformation T from the z-plane to the w-plane maps the straight line with equation 2x+y=5 to a circle in the w-plane with center (1,-1/2) and radius sqrt(5)/2. This can be shown by finding the transform of z=x+i(5-2x) and simplifying the resulting equation (u-1)^2+(v+1/2)^2, which should equal 5/4.
conorordan

Homework Statement

"The transformation T from the z-plane to the w-plane is given by

[itex]w=\frac{1}{Z-2}[/itex]

where [itex]Z=x+iy[/itex] and [itex]w=u+iv[/itex]

Show that under T the straight line with equation [itex]2x+y=5[/itex] is transformed to a circle in the w-plane with centre [itex]\left ( 1,-\frac{1}{2} \right )[/itex] and radius [itex]\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked out that the line [itex]2x+y=5[/itex] can be written in locus form as [itex]\left|Z-10\right|=\left|Z+10-10i\right|[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
##2x+y=5 \implies y=5-2x## so we're looking for the transform of ##z = x+i(5-2x)##.

Joffan said:
##2x+y=5 \implies y=5-2x## so we're looking for the transform of ##z = x+i(5-2x)##.

okay I substituted z into the transformation but I cannot get an equation of a circle to come out, where do I go from here?

Can you find u and v in terms of x? I would do that, and then compute ##(u-1)^2+(v+\frac 1 2)^2##. If you get stuck, then show us your work up to the point where you are stuck.

Edit: OK, I actually tried that, and the result I got is kind of a mess. Makes me wonder if the statement you want to prove is actually true. Can you check if you have stated the problem correctly?

Edit 2: I tried a couple of specific points on that line (the ones I tried were 2+i and 1+3i), and found that they are mapped to points at the correct distance from 1-i/2. So the statement you're supposed to prove is probably OK. This should mean that it's possible to simplify the mess I got to 5/4. Maybe there's a less messy way to do this. It's been a long time since I did one of these problems, so I don't remember if there are any standard tricks.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of transforming lines to circles in the w-plane?

Transforming lines to circles in the w-plane allows us to simplify complex mathematical problems by converting them into simpler ones. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions and their transformations.

2. How is the transformation from lines to circles achieved in the w-plane?

The transformation is achieved through a process known as the Möbius transformation, which is a type of complex function that maps lines in the z-plane to circles in the w-plane.

3. Can all lines in the z-plane be transformed into circles in the w-plane?

No, not all lines can be transformed into circles. Only lines that pass through the origin in the z-plane can be transformed into circles in the w-plane.

4. What is the significance of transforming lines to circles in the w-plane in complex analysis?

Transforming lines to circles in the w-plane is significant in complex analysis as it helps us solve complex integration problems and understand the behavior of complex functions. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

5. Are there any limitations to transforming lines to circles in the w-plane?

Yes, there are limitations to this transformation. It only works for lines that pass through the origin in the z-plane, and not all complex functions can be transformed into circles in the w-plane. It is important to carefully select the appropriate transformation for a given problem.