Exploring Complex Numbers and Powers of -1

In summary, there exists a complex number x such that x^x=i, but finding it involves the Lambert W function. For the second equation, we can write it in polar form and get a solution of about .99+ .077i. The first equation can also be solved using trigonometric functions and has infinitely many solutions.
limitkiller
1- is there any complex number, x ,such that x^x=i?

2- (-1)^([itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex])=?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
limitkiller said:
Yes, but finding it is non-trivial, involving, I think, the Lambert W function.

2- (-1)^([itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex])=?
We can write -1 in "polar form" as [itex]e^{i\pi}[/itex] and then [itex](-1)^{\sqrt{2}}= (e^{i\pi})^{\sqrt{2}}= e^{i\pi\sqrt{2}}= cos(\pi\sqrt{2})+ i sin(\pi\sqrt{2})[/itex]
or about .99+ .077i.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, but finding it is non-trivial, involving, I think, the Lambert W function.

We can write -1 in "polar form" as [itex]e^{i\pi}[/itex] and then [itex](-1)^{\sqrt{2}}= (e^{i\pi})^{\sqrt{2}}= e^{i\pi\sqrt{2}}= cos(\pi\sqrt{2})+ i sin(\pi\sqrt{2})[/itex]
or about .99+ .077i.

Thanks.

limitkiller said:
Writing z = re, zz = i gives θ sec(θ) eθ tan(θ) = π/2 + 2πn and r = eθ tan(θ). For n = 0, θ has a solution in (π/6, π/4), and probably infinitely many for each n.

Last edited:

1- Yes, there is a complex number that satisfies x^x = i. This number is approximately 0.438283 + 0.360592i. However, it is important to note that this solution is not unique, as there are infinitely many complex numbers that satisfy this equation.

2- (-1)^(\sqrt{2}) is not a well-defined expression, as the power of a negative number must be a positive integer. However, if we consider the expression (-1)^{\sqrt{2}} instead, we can use the definition of complex powers to find that the result is approximately 0.20787 + 0.97814i. Again, this solution is not unique and there are infinitely many possible values for this expression.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter "i", which stands for the square root of -1. Complex numbers are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. What is the power of -1?

The power of -1, when applied to complex numbers, is a way of rotating a complex number around the origin on the complex plane. When a complex number is raised to the power of -1, it essentially becomes its reciprocal or multiplicative inverse.

3. How do you represent complex numbers on a graph?

Complex numbers can be represented on a graph known as the complex plane. The real part of the complex number is plotted on the horizontal axis, while the imaginary part is plotted on the vertical axis. This allows for a visual representation of the complex number and its position on the complex plane.

4. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers have various applications in real life, especially in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to solve problems that involve alternating currents, oscillations, and electromagnetic fields. In economics, complex numbers are used in game theory and optimization problems.

5. What are some properties of powers of -1?

Some properties of powers of -1 include:
- Any power of -1 can be written as -1, 1, i, or -i.
- When raised to an even power, -1 becomes positive 1.
- When raised to an odd power, -1 remains negative 1.
- When raised to a multiple of 4, -1 becomes positive 1.
- When raised to a power greater than 1, -1 has a repeating pattern of 4 different values.
- When raised to a negative power, -1 becomes the reciprocal of its positive power.