Sketch the region of the complex plane

In summary, the problem is asking to sketch the region in the complex plane where the distance between a point z and the point (4-3i) is less than or equal to 5. This results in a circle centered at (4-3i) with a radius of 5.
SteveDC

Homework Statement

Sketch the region of the complex plane specified by:

|z - 4 + 3i| ≤ 5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried re-writing the modulus as √[(z)^2 (- 4)^2 + (3i)^2] and from this I have managed to arrive at z ≤ 3√2

But not sure if I needed to do this or how I would take it from here in terms of sketching this

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SteveDC! :smile:
SteveDC said:
|z - 4 + 3i| ≤ 5

|z - (4 - 3i)| ≤ 5 ? :wink:

Sorry, I might need a bigger hint then this! I still don't really understand

how would you draw |z| ≤ 5 ? :wink:

As a line along the real axis stretching to a point that is less than or equal to 5?

SteveDC said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the region of the complex plane specified by:

|z - 4 + 3i| ≤ 5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried re-writing the modulus as √[(z)^2 (- 4)^2 + (3i)^2]
and from this I have managed to arrive at z ≤ 3√2

That's not how you compute [itex]|z - 4 + 3i|[/itex]. Recall that if [itex]w = a + ib[/itex] then [itex]|w|^2 = a^2 + b^2[/itex].

Set [itex]z = x + iy[/itex] and see what happens.

In any set in which an absolute value is defined we can interpret |x- y| as the distance between x and y. In particular, in the complex plane, |z- a| is the distance between z and a. If [itex]|z- b|\le r[/itex], for z a variable, b a specific complex number, and r a real number, then z is any point on or inside the circle with center at b and radius r.

(If z is a complex number, [itex]z\le 3\sqrt{2}[/itex] makes no sense. The complex numbers are not an "ordered field".)

Likes 1 person
(just got back :tongue2:)
tiny-tim said:
how would you draw |z| ≤ 5 ? :wink:
SteveDC said:
As a line along the real axis stretching to a point that is less than or equal to 5?

ahh … that's where your misunderstandning is …

|z| ≤ 5 is a circle, the circle of all points whose distance from 0 is ≤ 5

i] do you see why that is? (or do you need an explanation?)

ii] now what does |z - i| ≤ 5 look like?

Likes 1 person
Think I've got this now. ii] a circle round the midpoint at i, with radius less than or equal to 5, and z will lie on that radius.

SteveDC said:
Think I've got this now. ii] a circle round the midpoint at i, with radius less than or equal to 5, and z will lie on that radius.

If by "midpoint" you mean "centered", then you are correct.

Yep, thanks everyone

1. What does it mean to "sketch the region of the complex plane"?

Sketching the region of the complex plane refers to graphically representing a set of complex numbers on a coordinate plane. This allows for visualizing relationships between complex numbers and identifying patterns or properties of the set.

2. How do I sketch the region of the complex plane?

To sketch the region of the complex plane, plot the complex numbers on a coordinate plane, where the real numbers are represented on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers are represented on the vertical axis. The complex numbers can be represented as points or vectors on this plane.

3. What is the purpose of sketching the region of the complex plane?

The purpose of sketching the region of the complex plane is to gain a better understanding of the relationships and patterns between complex numbers. It can also be used to visualize geometric transformations and operations on complex numbers.

4. What are some common regions or sets that are sketched on the complex plane?

Some common regions or sets that are sketched on the complex plane include the unit circle, the Mandelbrot set, and various polynomial or trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any specific techniques or tips for accurately sketching the region of the complex plane?

To accurately sketch the region of the complex plane, it is important to carefully plot each complex number and use different colors or symbols to represent different sets. It can also be helpful to use graph paper or a computer program to ensure precise plotting and labeling of the points.