Proving the Statement: (1+u^2)^2+(1+u)^2>0

• Thread starter LagrangeEuler
  • Start date
In summary, the equation (1+u^2)^2+(1+u)^2>0 is proven using the fact that u^4=u and the discriminant being complex to show that the sum is greater than 0. The hint given is to use the fact that u3 - 1 = 0 and u - 1 ≠ 0 and that u is a complex number.
LagrangeEuler

Homework Statement

Prove that ##(1+u^2)^2+(1+u)^2>0##
where ##u=exp(\frac{2\pi i}{3})##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##u^4=u## so
##(1+u^2)^2+(1+u)^2=3u^2+3u+2>0##
is there any way from here to get ##(1+u^2)^2+(1+u)^2>0##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that [itex]u^2=u^*[/itex] and so [itex]u^2+u[/itex] is real

Maybe this ##3u^2+3u+2>0## because discriminant is complex? Another way?

Hi LagrangeEuler! :smile:

Hint: u3 - 1 = 0 and u - 1 ≠ 0, sooo … ? :wink:

(hmm … is it true?)

In fact, do you have any reason to think that [itex](1+ u^2)^2+ (1+ u)^2[/itex] is even a real number?

Here is my very simple-minded, not at all sophisticated look at it:

[tex]u= e^{2\pi i/3}= -1- i\sqrt{3}/2[/tex]
[tex]u^2= \frac{1}{4}+ i\sqrt{3}[/tex]
[tex]1+ u^2= \frac{5}{4}+ i\sqrt{3}[/tex]
[tex](1+ u^2)^2= -\frac{13}{16}+ 5i\sqrt{3}/2[/tex]
While [itex]1+ u[/itex] is [itex]-i\sqrt{3}/2[/itex] so [itex](1+ u)^2[/itex] is real and the sum has non-zero imaginary part.

You have ##3u^2+3u+2## and it has been noted that ##u^2 = \bar u## so you have ##3u+3\bar u + 2 = 3(u + \bar u)+2 = 3\cdot 2\mathcal{Re} (u) + 2##, which is easy enough to calculate.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
In fact, do you have any reason to think that [itex](1+ u^2)^2+ (1+ u)^2[/itex] is even a real number?

Here is my very simple-minded, not at all sophisticated look at it:

[tex]u= e^{2\pi i/3}= -1- i\sqrt{3}/2[/tex]

This is incorrect since [itex]|u|=1[/itex] it should be [itex]u= -1/2- i\sqrt{3}/2[/itex] from which the algebra follows

1. What does the statement (1+u^2)^2+(1+u)^2>0 mean?

The statement (1+u^2)^2+(1+u)^2>0 is an inequality that is used to prove that a certain mathematical expression is always positive. It is read as "the sum of (1+u^2) squared and (1+u) squared is greater than 0".

2. What is the purpose of proving this statement?

The purpose of proving this statement is to show that the expression (1+u^2)^2+(1+u)^2 is always positive, regardless of the value of u. This can be useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as in calculus and physics.

3. How can this statement be proven?

This statement can be proven using various mathematical techniques, such as algebraic manipulation, mathematical induction, or proof by contradiction. The specific method used may depend on the context and the level of complexity of the statement.

4. Are there any exceptions to this statement?

No, there are no exceptions to this statement. The expression (1+u^2)^2+(1+u)^2 is always positive, regardless of the value of u. This can be verified by plugging in different values for u and observing that the result is always greater than 0.

5. What are some real-world applications of this statement?

This statement has many applications in various fields of science and mathematics. For example, it can be used to prove the convergence of certain mathematical series, or to show that a physical quantity is always positive (e.g. energy or velocity). It can also be used in optimization problems, where we want to find the minimum value of a function that is always positive.