1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Numbers

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    First question = attached below
    Second Question = attached below

2. Relevant equations
    modulus, argument, roots.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the 1st question I've gotten the modulus, the principal argument and the abs. of z^1/4 which was something like 1.5335 I believe. The only thing I am not understanding with regards to this question is the final part, where it is asking for the smallest argument, 2nd smallest, 2nd largest and largest in that ascending order.
    I've tried several things but none of them have worked to give me a proper answer. I'm probably missing something really stupid like "Just divide it by x to find smallest, add x to find largest, take away x to find second smallest" or some standard format like that.

2nd question I got these as my answers
    1: e^(3x)
    2: -3y

3: -(i*arg(-2+4i))/3 + ln(abs(-2+4i))/3

yet they don't seem to be the correct answers, I think I must be leaving out a step in the 2nd one.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest that these should be posted two threads, one thread for each problem. They are not all that similar, and each is multi-part.

It would be helpful to post the images as full-size like this:

math-2-png.95272.png

4. Feb 4, 2016 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you are asked to calculate something like z1/n, you should be aware that there are n separate and distinct complex numbers, call them w1, w2, w3, ..., wn, which result. These complex numbers are related to what are known as the roots of unity, which is described here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_of_unity

If you express the original complex number z in its polar form, such that z = r e i θ, then the various values of z1/n can be easily computed.

5. Feb 4, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should avoid posting images only. Type out the problem if it is not long and/or complicated. Type out you solution also, to the extent possible. As Vela states in his post "Guidelines for students and helpers": "Ask yourself "If I can't be bothered to spend my time typing it, why should they be bothered to spend their time reading it, much less responding to it?" Use images for supporting figures."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted