1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Numbers

1. Feb 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    0f9c29f81d.png
    2. Relevant equations

De Moivres Theorem/ Eulers formula

3. The attempt at a solution
    fa49e98d1c.jpg

Honestly don't know where to go with this now. I already applied De Moivres theorem at the very end. It feels like I have to do something more with either De Moivres theorem or Eulers formula. (only 2 we have done)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start from ##a+bi-\frac{1}{a+bi}=i##, multiply both sides with ##a+bi## and work it out. That will allow you to find the value(s) of a and b. Then use De Moivre's formula to get ##z^6##.

4. Feb 8, 2016 #3
    f3d25612e5.jpg
    Where do I go form here?

5. Feb 8, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On the left you have a complex number, say ##X+iY##, that is equal to 0. What can you then conclude about X and Y?

6. Feb 8, 2016 #5
    then X and Y should be equal to 0. But I don't see where is the complex number on the left? I know b-ai is one but I'm not too sure about the 2abi thing?

7. Feb 8, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct.
    The complex number on the left is ##a²+2abi-b²-1-ai+b=(a²-b²-1+b)+(2ab-a)i##. Your computation showed that this complex number is 0. You should be able to get the value(s) of a and b from that.

8. Feb 8, 2016 #7
    Ah. I see now. the entire left side was a complex number. Is this correct now?
    d498220a6f.jpg
    1e3f200bd8.jpg

9. Feb 8, 2016 #8

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

b is correct.
    But you made a sign error while computing a, so that a is not correct.
    Keep in mind that an equation in the form ##a²=c## can have two real solutions.

Also, to be complete, you should explain why in ##2ab=a##, you reject the solution ##a=0##.

10. Feb 8, 2016 #9
    Ah I see. Should it be a = + or - sqrt(1/4). therefore giving me two solutions for a. a = +1/4 and a = -1/4. I entered both into 2ab-a=0 and both give me true statements.
    Also would the reason for rejecting a=0 be that if a=0 it would give me no value for b either.

11. Feb 8, 2016 #10

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Any value for a will give you a true statement if b=1/2.
    No, that is still wrong. As I wrote, somewhere in the calculation you make a sign error: a minus for no reason becomes a plus.
    Correct.

12. Feb 8, 2016 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no need for DeMoivre or Euler. Once you have ##z = a + ib## you can quite quickly and easily get ##z^2##, then get ##z^4 = z^2 \cdot z^2## and finally ##z^6 = z^4 \cdot z^2##.

However, if you do care to use DeMoivre/Euler you should first examine very carefully the actual form of ##z##.

13. Feb 8, 2016 #12

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Multiplying the equation z+1/z=i by z, you get a quadratic equation for. Get the solution with the quadratic formula. Write z in the exponential/ trigonometric form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted