1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Plane Regions

1. Jan 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Shade each region in the complex plane. Justify your solution.

1) z - Conjugate[z] = 4

2) 1 + z, where |z| = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

So for my attempt for 1 is:

Let z = x + iy therefore Conjugate[z] = x - iy

z - Conjugate[z] = 4
    x + iy - (x - iy) = 4
    2iy = 4
    iy = 2 ***multiply both sides by i
    -y = 2i
    y = -2i

Now from my understanding y is supposed to be a real number, is it not? So what exactly does
    y = -2i represent? What region would it be in the complex plane?

And my attempt for 2:

|z| = 1 represents a circle of unit radius 1.
    Given 1+z and |z|=1, I changed this to into the equation of a disk in the complex plane (can I even do that?)

Let z = x + iy
    |z+1| < 1 ***For this step would I use less than, less than or equal to, or just equal to?
    |x+iy+1| < 1
    (x+1)2 + y2 < 12

Now this gives me an equation for a circle of radius 1 centred around the point (-1,0)
    Is this correct?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

z-conjugate(z)=4 has no solutions in the complex plane, as you've correctly deduced. So there is no region. It's just the empty set. For the second part, if |z|=1 is a circle around z=0 of radius 1 then isn't |z-c|=1 a circle around z=c of radius 1? |(z+1)-1|=|z|=1.

4. Jan 18, 2014 #3
    I do not understand how z - conjugate(z)=4 has no solutions in the complex plane. Can you explain that?

5. Jan 18, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You explained it. z-conjugate(z) is a purely imaginary number, it's 2yi where y is real. 4 is real and not zero. They can't be equal.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  6. Jan 18, 2014 #5
    Okay that makes sense, thank you!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted