Understanding Complex Plane Regions: Solving Equations and Graphing Circles

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving the shading of regions in the complex plane. The first problem, z-conjugate(z)=4, has no solutions in the complex plane and therefore has no region to shade. The second problem, |z| = 1, involves finding the region of a circle with a radius of 1 centered around the point (-1,0). This is correct as |z-c|=1 represents a circle of radius 1 centered around z=c.
goojilla

Homework Statement

Shade each region in the complex plane. Justify your solution.

1) z - Conjugate[z] = 4

2) 1 + z, where |z| = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

So for my attempt for 1 is:

Let z = x + iy therefore Conjugate[z] = x - iy

z - Conjugate[z] = 4
x + iy - (x - iy) = 4
2iy = 4
iy = 2 ***multiply both sides by i
-y = 2i
y = -2i

Now from my understanding y is supposed to be a real number, is it not? So what exactly does
y = -2i represent? What region would it be in the complex plane?

And my attempt for 2:

|z| = 1 represents a circle of unit radius 1.
Given 1+z and |z|=1, I changed this to into the equation of a disk in the complex plane (can I even do that?)

Let z = x + iy
|z+1| < 1 ***For this step would I use less than, less than or equal to, or just equal to?
|x+iy+1| < 1
(x+1)2 + y2 < 12

Now this gives me an equation for a circle of radius 1 centred around the point (-1,0)
Is this correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
goojilla said:

Homework Statement

Shade each region in the complex plane. Justify your solution.

1) z - Conjugate[z] = 4

2) 1 + z, where |z| = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

So for my attempt for 1 is:

Let z = x + iy therefore Conjugate[z] = x - iy

z - Conjugate[z] = 4
x + iy - (x - iy) = 4
2iy = 4
iy = 2 ***multiply both sides by i
-y = 2i
y = -2i

Now from my understanding y is supposed to be a real number, is it not? So what exactly does
y = -2i represent? What region would it be in the complex plane?

And my attempt for 2:

|z| = 1 represents a circle of unit radius 1.
Given 1+z and |z|=1, I changed this to into the equation of a disk in the complex plane (can I even do that?)

Let z = x + iy
|z+1| < 1 ***For this step would I use less than, less than or equal to, or just equal to?
|x+iy+1| < 1
(x+1)2 + y2 < 12

Now this gives me an equation for a circle of radius 1 centred around the point (-1,0)
Is this correct?

Thanks

z-conjugate(z)=4 has no solutions in the complex plane, as you've correctly deduced. So there is no region. It's just the empty set. For the second part, if |z|=1 is a circle around z=0 of radius 1 then isn't |z-c|=1 a circle around z=c of radius 1? |(z+1)-1|=|z|=1.

I do not understand how z - conjugate(z)=4 has no solutions in the complex plane. Can you explain that?

goojilla said:
I do not understand how z - conjugate(z)=4 has no solutions in the complex plane. Can you explain that?

You explained it. z-conjugate(z) is a purely imaginary number, it's 2yi where y is real. 4 is real and not zero. They can't be equal.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Okay that makes sense, thank you!

1. What is a complex plane region?

A complex plane region is a subset of the complex plane, which is a two-dimensional coordinate system that consists of real and imaginary axes. A complex plane region is a bounded area on this coordinate system.

2. What are some examples of complex plane regions?

Some examples of complex plane regions include circles, triangles, rectangles, and ellipses. These are all bounded areas on the complex plane that can be described using mathematical equations.

3. How do we plot complex plane regions?

To plot a complex plane region, we use the Cartesian coordinate system, where the real axis is the x-axis and the imaginary axis is the y-axis. The equations that define the boundaries of the region are plotted on this coordinate system to create a visual representation.

4. What is the significance of complex plane regions in science?

Complex plane regions are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in the study of complex variables and functions, and help to visualize and analyze their behavior.

5. Can complex plane regions be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, complex plane regions can be used to solve real-world problems, particularly in fields such as engineering and physics. They provide a visual representation of complex systems and can help in understanding and predicting their behavior.