What is the Simplified Solution for Complex Polynomial Zeroes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a polynomial problem involving complex roots and a quadratic formula. The participants provide various methods for solving different parts of the problem, including a clever approach that uses the fact that \alpha ^ 6 = 1.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5517/polynomial1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to answer (i) by solving the quadratic in [tex]z^2[/tex] and showing it had complex roots, thus solving for z will also give complex roots.

For (ii) I would have gone about it by taking the long tedious process of finding [tex]z^6[/tex], however, by the marking criteria this is only a 1 mark question, so there must be an easier way to answer this.

For (iii) I'm unsure.

Thanks for any help :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

For iii) just plug in [itex]z = \alpha^2[/itex] and use that [itex]1 + \alpha^2 + \alpha^4 = 0[/itex] (because it is a root).

ii) is a little trickier, but kinda nice (if I say so myself).
Try multiplying [itex]1 + \alpha^2 + \alpha^4 = 0[/itex] by [itex]\alpha^2[/itex].

(ii) Because you've found the solutions of z:

[tex]1+z^2+z^4=0[/tex]

[tex]y=z^2[/tex]

[tex]y_{1,2}=\frac{-1 \pm i\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]z_{1,2,3,4}=\pm\sqrt{\frac{-1 \pm i\sqrt{3}}{2}}[/tex]

So you need [itex]\alpha ^ 6[/itex] i.e [itex]z^6[/itex]

Choose one of the 4 roots of z and do this:

[tex]z^6= \frac{(-1+i\sqrt{3})^3}{2^3}[/tex]

Solve it, and you will see that it turns out 1.

For (iii), you already got y, just plug it in the equation and you'll see that it turn out 0.

Regards.

Dyavol, there is a solution to (ii) that doesn't require using the quadratic formula. Just follow the hint in my post ;)

CompuChip said:
Dyavol, there is a solution to (ii) that doesn't require using the quadratic formula. Just follow the hint in my post ;)
Yep, your proof is much easier. :smile:

I hope Mentallic will spot it.

CompuChip I have to agree with you there, that IS tricky, but really nice too :smile:
I think I'm going to have to keep that idea in mind to see if i can apply it to any other polynomial questions. Thanks for that.

Дьявол, for your solution to (ii) I would've done the same thing, which is quickly noticeable that it's too much work for a 1 mark question.
However, it isn't as bad as having to solve [tex](-1\pm i\sqrt{3})^3[/tex] because [tex]-1\pm i\sqrt{3}[/tex] is quickly and easily converted into mod-arg form: [tex]2cis(\pm \frac{2\pi}{3})[/tex]

Thus, [tex](-1\pm i\sqrt{3})^3=(2cis(\pm \frac{2\pi}{3}))^3=2^3cis(\pm 2\pi)=2^3[/tex]

But of course, it could've been worse.

Sorry I still don't understand (iii) very well. Am I finding the root [tex]a^2[/tex] and plugging it into the original equation? This also seems like quite a bit of work for 1 mark. Maybe there is an easier way? If not, that's cool.

It's not hard. You know a^6=1. (a=alpha). You want to check a^2 is a root, so you want to show 1+a^4+a^8=0. You also know a^2+a^4=(-1), right? Square both sides of that equation. You really don't actually have to find the complex roots to solve any of these questions. That's why it's 1 mark.

Last edited:

Ahh I see, so [tex](a^2+a^4)^2=a^4+2a^6+a^8=1[/tex]

Hence, [tex]1+a^4+a^8=0[/tex]

Cool thanks for all the help!

Mentallic said:
Ahh I see, so [tex](a^2+a^4)^2=a^4+2a^6+a^8=1[/tex]

Hence, [tex]1+a^4+a^8=0[/tex]

Cool thanks for all the help!

Since you've already solved the problem, I'll give you another way. It is to use the fact that [tex]\alpha ^ 6 = 1[/tex], but in a little bit different manner:

[tex]\alpha[/tex] is a zero of p(z), so:

[tex]1 + \alpha ^ 2 + \alpha ^ 4 = 0[/tex].

We want to prove that [tex]\alpha ^ 2[/tex] is also a zero of p(z), i.e, we want to prove:

[tex]1 + \alpha ^ 4 + \alpha ^ 8 = 0[/tex].

It goes like this:

[tex]1 + \alpha ^ 4 + \alpha ^ 8 = \alpha ^ 6 + \alpha ^ 4 + \alpha ^ 8 = \alpha ^ 4 (1 + \alpha ^ 2 + \alpha ^ 4) = \alpha ^ 4 * 0 = 0[/tex]. (Q.E.D)

VietDao29 said:
[tex]1 + \alpha ^ 4 + \alpha ^ 8 = \alpha ^ 6 + \alpha ^ 4 + \alpha ^ 8 = \alpha ^ 4 (1 + \alpha ^ 2 + \alpha ^ 4) = \alpha ^ 4 * 0 = 0[/tex]. (Q.E.D)

Ahh that's very clever!

Mentallic said:
Ahh that's very clever!

It's what I had in mind, somewhat similar to ii), where you write

[tex]0 = 1 + \alpha^2 + \alpha^4 = \alpha^2(1 + \alpha^2 + \alpha^4) = \alpha^2 + \alpha^4 + \alpha^6 = \underbrace{(1 + \alpha^2 + \alpha^4)}_{{} = 0} + (\alpha^6 - 1)[/tex]

CompuChip said:
It's what I had in mind, somewhat similar to ii), where you write

[tex]0 = 1 + \alpha^2 + \alpha^4 = \alpha^2(1 + \alpha^2 + \alpha^4) = \alpha^2 + \alpha^4 + \alpha^6 = \underbrace{(1 + \alpha^2 + \alpha^4)}_{{} = 0} + (\alpha^6 - 1)[/tex]

This too is very smart. Now, if I can just spot stuff like this as efficiently as you guys have done, I'll be set :smile:

1. What is a complex polynomial?

A complex polynomial is an algebraic expression that contains at least one variable raised to a positive integer power and can also include complex numbers. It is typically written in the form of a sum of terms, where each term is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a power.

2. What are the zeroes of a complex polynomial?

The zeroes of a complex polynomial are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero. In other words, they are the solutions to the polynomial equation. These values can be real or complex numbers.

3. How do you find the zeroes of a complex polynomial?

To find the zeroes of a complex polynomial, you can use a variety of methods such as factoring, graphing, or using the quadratic formula. If the polynomial has complex coefficients, you can also use the conjugate root theorem to find the complex zeroes in pairs.

4. What is the degree of a complex polynomial?

The degree of a complex polynomial is the highest power of the variable present in the polynomial. For example, a polynomial with the term x^3 has a degree of 3. The degree of a polynomial can also help determine the number of zeroes it has.

5. Can a complex polynomial have multiple zeroes?

Yes, a complex polynomial can have multiple zeroes. In fact, the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial of degree n can have n complex zeroes, counting multiplicities. This means that some zeroes may appear more than once in the polynomial.