Finding $z$ for a Complex Equation

In summary, a complex variable $z$ is a number with both real and imaginary parts, commonly represented as $z = a + bi$. To find the value of $z$ in an equation, the real and imaginary parts must be solved separately. Complex equations can be represented in various forms, such as algebraic, polar, and exponential. The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra can be used to determine the number of roots in a complex equation, and special techniques such as factoring and completing the square can be used to solve them.
fauboca
How do I find all $z$ that satisfies:

[tex]z = \exp\left(2+3i\right)[/tex]

I know the modulus has to be [itex]e^2[/itex] and the argument has to be 3 but where do I go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's it. There's only one z equal to that z.

LCKurtz said:
That's it. There's only one z equal to that z.

That is really all there is to it?

fauboca said:
That is really all there is to it?

Maybe you are supposed to write it in a+bi form?

LCKurtz said:
Maybe you are supposed to write it in a+bi form?

Yes that is correct.

1. What is the complex variable $z$ in an equation?

The complex variable $z$ is a number that has both a real part and an imaginary part. It is typically represented as $z = a + bi$, where $a$ is the real part and $bi$ is the imaginary part, with $i$ being the imaginary unit equal to $\sqrt{-1}$.

2. How do I find the value of $z$ in a complex equation?

To find the value of $z$ in a complex equation, you will need to solve for both the real and imaginary parts separately. This can be done by using algebraic methods such as combining like terms and isolating the variable $z$ on one side of the equation.

3. What are some common ways to represent complex equations?

Complex equations can be represented in various forms, such as algebraic form, polar form, and exponential form. In algebraic form, the equation is written as $z = a + bi$, where $a$ and $b$ are real numbers. In polar form, the equation is written as $z = re^{i\theta}$, where $r$ is the distance from the origin and $\theta$ is the angle from the positive real axis. In exponential form, the equation is written as $z = |z|e^{i\arg(z)}$, where $|z|$ is the modulus (or absolute value) of $z$ and $\arg(z)$ is the argument (or angle) of $z$.

4. How can I determine if a complex equation has any roots?

A complex equation can have multiple roots, depending on its degree. To determine if a complex equation has any roots, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that a polynomial equation of degree $n$ has exactly $n$ complex roots (counting multiplicities). You can also use the Rational Root Theorem to check for possible rational roots.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving complex equations?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to solve complex equations. These include factoring, completing the square, using the quadratic formula, and using the method of substitution. Additionally, there are specific techniques for solving equations with special forms, such as equations with conjugate pairs or equations with complex coefficients.