Proving Complex Number Equality

In summary, we are given a complex number ##z = \frac{a+bi}{a-bi}##, where ##a## and ##b## are real numbers, and we are asked to prove that ##\frac{z^2+1}{2z} = \frac{a^2-b^2}{a^2+b^2}##. After manipulating ##z##, we can rewrite ##\frac{z^2+1}{2z}## as ##z+\frac{1}{z}## and use the fact that ##z = \frac{a+bi}{a-bi}## to simplify the expression to ##\frac{a^2-b^2}{a^
squenshl

Homework Statement

##z## is a complex number such that ##z = \frac{a+bi}{a-bi}##, where ##a## and ##b## are real numbers. Prove that ##\frac{z^2+1}{2z} = \frac{a^2-b^2}{a^2+b^2}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated
\begin{equation*}

\begin{split}

z = \frac{a+bi}{a-bi} &= \frac{a+bi}{a-bi}\times \frac{a+bi}{a+bi} \\

&= \frac{a^2+2abi-b^2}{a^2+b^2} \\

&= \frac{a^2-b^2}{a^2+b^2}+\frac{2ab}{a^2+b^2}i.

\end{split}

\end{equation*}
But sticking that ugly thing into ##\frac{z^2+1}{2z}## gives me something nasty. I'm sure there is a much simpler way!

Physics news on Phys.org
squenshl said:

Homework Statement

##z## is a complex number such that ##z = \frac{a+bi}{a-bi}##, where ##a## and ##b## are real numbers. Prove that ##\frac{z^2+1}{2z} = \frac{a^2-b^2}{a^2+b^2}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated
\begin{equation*}

\begin{split}

z = \frac{a+bi}{a-bi} &= \frac{a+bi}{a-bi}\times \frac{a+bi}{a+bi} \\

&= \frac{a^2+2abi-b^2}{a^2+b^2} \\

&= \frac{a^2-b^2}{a^2+b^2}+\frac{2ab}{a^2+b^2}i.

\end{split}

\end{equation*}
But sticking that ugly thing into ##\frac{z^2+1}{2z}## gives me something nasty. I'm sure there is a much simpler way!

What could you do with ##\frac{z^2+1}{2z}##?

It might be prettier if you defined ##u=a+bi## in which case ##z=u/u^*##. Put that ratio in ##\frac{z^2+1}{2z}## and see what you get.

Great thank you very much!

Another way might be by noting that ##\frac {z^2+1}{2z}=\frac 1{\frac 1{z+i}+\frac 1{z-i}}##

I think, as aluded to in post #2, the key is:

##\frac{z^2+1}{z}=z+\frac{1}{z}##

Likes SammyS

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary part. They are represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the square root of -1.

2. Why is proving complex number equality important?

Proving complex number equality is important because it allows us to determine if two complex numbers are equal or not. This is essential in many mathematical and scientific applications where complex numbers are used.

3. What is the process for proving complex number equality?

The process for proving complex number equality involves showing that the real and imaginary parts of both complex numbers are equal. This can be done by equating the real and imaginary parts separately and solving for the variables.

4. Can complex numbers be proven equal if their real and imaginary parts are not equal?

No, complex numbers can only be proven equal if both their real and imaginary parts are equal. If one part is different, then the two complex numbers are not equal.

5. Are there any special cases when proving complex number equality?

Yes, there are special cases when proving complex number equality. One special case is when both complex numbers have a real part of 0. In this case, they can be proven equal if and only if their imaginary parts are also equal.