1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex pulley system problem

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    23jrcww.jpg

my problem is the one shown above. In all honesty i do not know how this system works since a pulley with two radii's has two different cables running through it. Does anyone know where i need to start at with this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi yopy! :smile:

Hint: if A and B were at the same radius, then the tension in ropes 1 and 2 would be the same … can you see why?

ok, now use the same principle to find the actual relationship between the tensions. :wink:

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

From he figure, I presume that pulleys 1 and 2 are combined one with radii 100 mm and h300 mm. If TA and TB are the tensions in rope A and B, then what should be the condition so that the pulley system 1 and 2 will remain in equilibrium?
    What should be the condition that the pulley 4 shall have neither rotational motion nor the translational motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook