1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Real Number Problem

1. Jul 7, 2009 #1
    Suppose that a and b are real numbers, not both 0. Find real numbers c and d such that

[tex]\frac{1}{a+bi}=c+di[/tex]

What do they mean find c & d? That's two unknowns is it not?

Anyway. My attempt:

[tex]\begin{array} \frac{1}/({a+bi})=c+di\\ \Rightarrow (a+bi)(c+di)=1\\\Rightarrow ac-bd+(ad+bc)i=1\\\Rightarrow \frac{1+bd-ac}{ad+bc}=i\end{array}[/tex]

Now I know that I could square both sides to get rid of i, but I am not sure how whether that will help or hurt.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Squaring won't get rid of the i. Use complex conjugates. Multiply the left side by (a-bi)/(a-bi). Equate real and imaginary parts.

4. Jul 7, 2009 #3
    Okay. But why won't squaring both sides of my last line get rid of i? I mean, it will leave me dead in the water, but the RHS will surely be -1 right? (Just want to be sure i am not missing something big here)

5. Jul 7, 2009 #4
    If I multiply the original EQ by the conjugate I get

[tex]\frac{a-bi}{a^2+b^2}=c+di[/tex]

I am not sure what you mean by equate the real and imaginary parts? Sorry, I have never really used complex numbers :redface:

on the LHS, I have the complex number [tex]\frac{a}{a^2+b^2}+\frac{-b}{a^2+b^2}i[/tex]

Does that form help my plight?

6. Jul 7, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. The real part of the left side is a/(a^2+b^2), the real part of the right side is c. So c=a/(a^2+b^2). (a,b,c,d are REAL). Now equate the imaginary parts of both sides. You are supposed to find c and d in terms of a and b.

7. Jul 7, 2009 #6
    Ohhhhh. i see where my confusion lies. a and be are real numbers, BUT we refer to the quantity (b*i) as the imaginary PART right?

i is the only imaginary number but b*i is the imaginary part

8. Jul 7, 2009 #7

Cyosis

Homework Helper

If you have a complex number a+ib, then a is the real part and b is the imaginary part not ib.

9. Jul 7, 2009 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In other words, the imaginary part is the coefficient of i. That means that both the real part and the imaginary part are real numbers.

10. Jul 7, 2009 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

and bi is an imaginary number, not only i.

11. Jul 7, 2009 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately, you can find as many authoritative statements that the "imaginary part" of a+ bi is "bi" as you can that it is "b". Fortunately, it is not a critical distinction.
    If
    [tex]\frac{a- bi}{a^2+ b^2}= \frac{a}{a^2+ b^2}- \frac{bi}{a^2+ b^2}= c+ di[/tex]
    then
    [tex]\frac{a}{a^2+ b^2}= c[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{-b}{a^2+ b^2}= d[/tex]
    no matter what you call them!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook