1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex/Real Vector Spaces

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I'm having a little difficulty with this proof.
    Prove: If V is a complex vector space, then V is also a real vector space.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition 1: A vector space V is called a real vector space if the scalars are real numbers.
    Definition 2: A vector space V is called a complex vector space if the scalars are complex numbers.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried a proof by contradiction saying that "V is a complex vector space and V is not a real vector space." Can't seem to find any sort of contradiction throughout my argument though.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's good that you didn't find any contradictions, because there aren't any. The set of vectors in a complex vector space with complex scalars are also a vector space over the reals. Just try to prove it directly. What things do you need to prove?

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3
    I just need to develop a proof using the vector space axioms and the two definitions listed above that if V is a complex vector space, then V is also a real vector space. Not sure how to go about proving it directly though....

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

State the axioms you have to prove. Take them one by one.

6. Mar 24, 2012 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Before you can check any of the vector space axioms, you must define a new scalar multiplication operation. The one you have is a map from ℂ×V into V. You need to use it to define a map from ℝ×V into V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook