1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex root finding

1. Jan 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let the complex number 1 = 1 + 0i. Show this number has three cube roots. Use any means to find them.

2. Relevant equations
    not sure. cubic root x means there is some number y, x = y*y*y.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well one root has to be 1
    Another is (-1)*i^2 and another 1*i^2. I am not sure about these two, and I am not sure I could give an explanation why even if they are right.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those aren't right. Do you know deMoivre's formula? If you don't want to use that you are trying to solve x^3-1=0 for x. Factor it.
  4. Jan 9, 2009 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

i2= -1 so (-1)i2= (-1)(-1)= 1. That's not a new root. 1(i2)= -1 and (-1)3= -1, not 1 so that is NOT a root.

If you are expected to do a problem like this then you should already know "DeMoivre's formula": if [itex]z= r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex] then [itex]z^c= r^c(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex] which is true for c any number. In particular [itex]z^{1/n}= r^{1/n}(cos(\theta/n)+ i sin(\theta/n))[/itex] where [itex]r^{1/n}[/itex] is the unique real positive nth root of r. Since cosine and sine are periodic with period n, increasing [itex]\theta[/itex] by any multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex] won't change [itex]r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex] but dividing by n will.

In particular, [itex]1= 1+ 0i= 1(cos(0)+ i sin(0))= 1(cos(2\pi)+ i sin(\2pi))= 1(cos(4\pi)+ i sin(4\pi))[/itex]. Find the 3 third roots of 1 by dividing those angles by 3. For example, 1(cos(0/3)+ i sin(0/3))= 1 which gives the first third root of 1. Now, what are [itex]1(cos(2\pi/3)+ i sin(2\pi/3)[/itex] and [itex]1(cos(4\pi/3)+ i sin(\4pi/3))[/itex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?