How can complex roots and equations be solved using different methods?

In summary, the conversation was about finding solutions to the equation z^(3/4) = sqrt(6) + sqrt(2)i and putting them in the form z = re^(iθ). The two approaches discussed were to raise both sides to the power of 4/3 or to raise both sides to the power of 4 first and then take the cube root. While both methods ultimately lead to the same solutions, the second approach involved adding a 2kpi term after raising both sides to the power of 4, resulting in multiple solutions due to the periodic nature of the complex exponential function. It was also mentioned that the solutions should be reduced mod 2pi to fit the given range for θ.
converting1
Question: http://gyazo.com/abca582e1109884964913493487ad8ae

My solution:

I got √6 + i√2 = √8(cos(pi/6) + isin(pi/6)) as they did below,
then [itex] z^{\frac{3}{4}} = \sqrt{8}e^{i(\frac{\pi}{6} + 2k\pi)} [/tex]
then took 4/3 of both sides and let k = 1, 0 etc to try and get the values of z

however in the solutions: http://gyazo.com/3ba4f14d27f2fbc1bc8f04d2b918a5ac

they raised it to 1/4 first then added the 2kpi and hence got different solutions than me. Could anyone explain why?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is:

Solve the equation ##z^{3/4}=\sqrt{6}+\sqrt{2}i##
Put your answers in the form ##z=re^{i\theta}## where ##r>0## and ##-\pi < \theta \leq \pi##

I got √6 + i√2 = √8(cos(pi/6) + isin(pi/6)) as they did below,
then [itex] z^{\frac{3}{4}} = \sqrt{8}e^{i(\frac{\pi}{6} + 2k\pi)} [/itex]
then took 4/3 of both sides and let k = 1, 0 etc to try and get the values of z

however in the solutions: http://gyazo.com/3ba4f14d27f2fbc1bc8f04d2b918a5ac

they raised it to 1/4 first then added the 2kpi and hence got different solutions than me. Could anyone explain why?
... looking at the pic, it looks to me like they just raised both sides to the power of 4 to get the expression for ##z^3## ... if you take the cube root of both sides, it should be the same as your answer.

Your upload of the other solution is too hard to read. RHS is cropped. As far as I can tell, they also raised both sides to 4/3, effectively. Pls post your working and answer.

haruspex said:
Your upload of the other solution is too hard to read. RHS is cropped. As far as I can tell, they also raised both sides to 4/3, effectively. Pls post your working and answer.

What I done:

[itex] z^{\frac{3}{4}} = \sqrt{8}e^{i(\frac{\pi}{6})} [/itex]
as solutions are not unique:
[itex] z^{\frac{3}{4}} = \sqrt{8}e^{i(\frac{\pi}{6} + 2k\pi)}[/itex]
[itex] z = (\sqrt{8}e^{i(\frac{\pi}{6} + 2k\pi)})^{\frac{4}{3}} [/itex]

now I subbed in k = 0, k = 1... to get the solutions where -π<θ≤pi

what they have done
[itex] z^{\frac{3}{4}} = \sqrt{8}e^{i(\frac{\pi}{6})} [/itex]
[itex] z^3 = ( \sqrt{8}e^{i(\frac{\pi}{6})})^{4} [/itex]
[itex] z^3 = 64e^{i(\frac{\pi}{6} + 2\pi k)} [/itex]
so [itex] z = 4e^{i(\frac{2\pi}{9} + \frac{2k\pi}{3})} [/itex]

then they sub in k = 0, k = 1 and k = -1 to get values for z (only one of which is the same to mine).
I'm asking why do you have to add the 2pki after you get it into z^3 = ...

converting1 said:
[itex] z = (\sqrt{8}e^{i(\frac{\pi}{6} + 2k\pi)})^{\frac{4}{3}} [/itex]

now I subbed in k = 0, k = 1... to get the solutions where -π<θ≤pi
Ok, but what are your solutions? The last line above is still consistent with their solutions. Following on from it:
[itex] z = 4(e^{i(\frac{2\pi}{9} + \frac{8k\pi}3)})[/itex]
so the difference is a factor ##e^{i\frac{6k\pi}3}## = 1.
I agree it would be more natural to introduce the k term straight away, but I'm not seeing that deferring until after multiplying by 4 makes a difference. The important thing is to do it before dividing.

haruspex said:
Ok, but what are your solutions? The last line above is still consistent with their solutions. Following on from it:
[itex] z = 4(e^{i(\frac{2\pi}{9} + \frac{8k\pi}3)})[/itex]
so the difference is a factor ##e^{i\frac{6k\pi}3}## = 1.
I agree it would be more natural to introduce the k term straight away, but I'm not seeing that deferring until after multiplying by 4 makes a difference. The important thing is to do it before dividing.

My only solution is [tex] z = 4e^{i(\frac{2\pi}{9})} [/tex], as all I can sub in is k = 0

they have three solutions of:
[tex] z = 4e^{i(\frac{2\pi}{9})} [/tex]
[tex] z = 4e^{i(\frac{8\pi}{9})} [/tex]
[tex] z = 4e^{i(\frac{-4\pi}{9})} [/tex]

converting1 said:
My only solution is [tex] z = 4e^{i(\frac{2\pi}{9})} [/tex], as all I can sub in is k = 0
Really? What do you get if you set k = 1?

haruspex said:
Really? What do you get if you set k = 1?

then you get theta as 26pi/9... but this is out of the domain given for theta.

edit: hm, but as theta is not unique, is it OK to just take away 2pi from 26pi/9?

converting1 said:
then you get theta as 26pi/9... but this is out of the domain given for theta.

edit: hm, but as theta is not unique, is it OK to just take away 2pi from 26pi/9?

Exactly so. You should reduce all results mod 2pi to get them into the target range.

haruspex said:
Exactly so. You should reduce all results mod 2pi to get them into the target range.

thank you for your patience! :)

1. What are complex roots?

Complex roots are solutions to equations with complex numbers, which are numbers with both real and imaginary components. They are represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you solve equations with complex roots?

To solve equations with complex roots, you can use the quadratic formula or factoring. If the equation is in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, the complex roots can be found using the formula x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a.

3. What is the significance of complex roots in mathematics?

Complex roots are important in mathematics because they allow us to solve equations that have no real solutions. They also have applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

4. Can complex roots be graphed on the Cartesian plane?

Yes, complex roots can be graphed on the Cartesian plane. The real part of the complex number corresponds to the x-coordinate, and the imaginary part corresponds to the y-coordinate. The point where the two intersect represents the complex root.

5. Are there any strategies for finding complex roots without using the quadratic formula?

Yes, there are other strategies for finding complex roots such as completing the square or using the method of roots and coefficients. However, these methods can be more time-consuming and are not as efficient as using the quadratic formula.