1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex roots of unity

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the real and imaginary roots of z^4 = -1.

3. The attempt at a solution

The polar coordinates of -1 are at (-1, pi), (-1, 3pi) etc so if I assume the solutions take the form z = exp[i n theta] then

n theta = pi + 2npi

This dosen't seem to give the correct roots though, what am I doing wrong? I don't want the solution, just the method so I can work it through for myself if anyone can help.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Are you familiar with the fact that:

Multiplying two complex numbers yields a complex number whose angle to the positive real axis is the sum of the factors' angles to the same axis (while the modulus/length of the complex number gained is the product of the facturs' moduli)?

Thus, the fourth roots of a complex number must have one fourth the angle that complex number may have, as measured to the positive real axis.

Remember that the number (-1) can be said to have the angles [itex]\pi,3\pi,5\pi,7\pi[/itex] to the positive x-axis.
    Ask yourself why these four angular representations are both necessary and sufficient to find ALL fourth roots of (-1)!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?