1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex roots

1. Sep 19, 2006 #1
    the book asks to fnd the four roots of z to the fourth power + 4 = 0 and then use to demonstrate that z to the fourth power + 4 can be factored into two quadratics with real coefficinets. I am clueless on where to start. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2
    start by setting [tex] z^4=-4 [/tex] and solve for z taking the square root function twice (saving both roots)

4. Sep 19, 2006 #3
    Ok so I did what you said and then did the quadratic formula so i have 4 roots but how do I form quadratic formulas?

5. Sep 22, 2006 #4
    so let a,b,c,d be your roots. the general form of your equation can be written as (z-a)(z-b)(z-c)(z-d)=0. From that you can pick any two, multiply out and you'll have a quadratic ie: [tex] (z^2-bz-az+ab)(z-c)(z-d)=0 [/tex]. Since your roots are complex and you need real coefficients you might have to try different combinations

6. Sep 22, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let y= z2 so that you have a quadratic equation
    y2+ 4= 0. What are the two solutions to that? Then, for each of the two values of y, set z2= y and take square roots.

7. Sep 22, 2006 #6
    Ok, I noticed something while playing with your equation, you can factor out z^4 + 4 = 0 into
    (z^2 + 2i)(z^2 - 2i)
    then
    (z^2 + 2i) = (z + 1 - i)(z - 1 + i)
    (z^2 - 2i) = (z + 1 + i)(z - 1 - i)

multiply
    (z + 1 - i)(z + 1 + i) = z^2 + 2z + 2
    (z - 1 + i)(z - 1 - i) = z^2 - 2z + 2

and there you have your two real number quadratics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?