Solving 6x^3 - 3x^2 - 45x Equation

• Thread starter Corkery
  • Start date
In summary, the equation 6x^3 - 3x^2 - 45x does not have any real solutions, but it has two complex roots. The quadratic formula can be used to factorize the equation and solve for the roots.
Corkery

Homework Statement

6x^3 - 3x^2 - 45x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

-first factor out 3x
3x(2x^2 - x -15)

2 x 5 = 30 so...

3x(2x^2 + 5x - 6x - 15)

-separate the equations
3x(2x^2 + 5x)( - 6x -15)

-simplify a few things.
3x^2(2x + 5) -3 (2x + 5)

(3x^2 - 3)(2x + 5)

set both equations to zero
2x + 5 = 0
2x = -5
x = -5/2

3x^2 - 3 = 0
3x^2 = 3

thats where I get stuck, that is if I did this right. thanks for any help you can offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Corkery said:

Homework Statement

6x^3 - 3x^2 - 45x

Homework Equations

-first factor out 3x
3x(2x^2 - x -15)

2 x 5 = 30 so...

3x(2x^2 + 5x - 6x - 15)
What've you done to get from the line above to this:
-separate the equations
3x(2x^2 + 5x)( - 6x -15)
It's incorrect, anyway. You should try using the quadratic formula to factorise (2x^2 -x- 15)

Corkery said:

Homework Statement

6x^3 - 3x^2 - 45x
Wasn't this supposed to be an equation? And, if so, doesn't it need an "=" somewhere? Did you mean 6x^3- 3x^2- 45x= 0?

Homework Equations

-first factor out 3x
3x(2x^2 - x -15)

2 x 5 = 30 so...
Well, no, 2 x 5= 10, not 30. But there is no 30 in the equation anyway so I don't know what you were trying to do!

3x(2x^2 + 5x - 6x - 15)

-separate the equations
3x(2x^2 + 5x)( - 6x -15)
?? Did you mean 3x[(2x^2+ 5x)+ (-6x-15)]?

-simplify a few things.
3x^2(2x + 5) -3 (2x + 5)
Again, you mean 3x^2[(2x+5)- 3(2x+5)]

(3x^2 - 3)(2x + 5)
No, since the 3x is multiplied by both 2x+ 5 and -3(2x+5) you cannot separate the expression like that.
set both equations to zero
2x + 5 = 0
2x = -5
x = -5/2

3x^2 - 3 = 0
3x^2 = 3

thats where I get stuck, that is if I did this right. thanks for any help you can offer.
Well, obviously that gives x^2= 1 which has solutions x= 1 and x= -1- but they obviously do not satisfy the original equation. Go back to 3x^2(2x^2 - x -15)= 0. That gives you one obvious solution. Now try to factor 2x^2- x- 15.

However, this equation does not has complex roots!

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks a lot. that really does help a lot. My tutor also pointed out some of my mistakes, but with the combination of that and this I'm very clear on the subject. thanks again

1. How do I solve the equation 6x^3 - 3x^2 - 45x?

To solve this equation, you can use the factoring method. First, factor out the common factor of 3x. This leaves you with 3x(2x^2 - x - 15). Next, factor the quadratic expression inside the parentheses. This gives you 3x(2x + 5)(x - 3). So the solutions to the equation are x = 0, x = -5/2, and x = 3.

2. Can I solve this equation using the quadratic formula?

No, the quadratic formula can only be used to solve equations in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Since this equation is a cubic, you will need to use a different method, such as factoring or the cubic formula.

3. How many solutions does this equation have?

This equation has three solutions, since it is a cubic equation. This is because any cubic equation can have up to three real solutions.

4. What is the purpose of solving this equation?

Solving this equation can help you find the values of x that make the equation true. This can be useful in various applications, such as finding the roots of a polynomial function or determining the points of intersection between two graphs.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving the equation without a calculator, as it can help you better understand the concept of solving equations and check your answers for accuracy.