Finding Solutions to z^4 = 1-i√3

• Thread starter Diode
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding and plotting the solutions to the equation z^4 = 1-i\sqrt{3}. The solution involves expressing the right hand side in polar form and taking roots on both sides. The different roots can be found by using the formula z = \sqrt[n]{r}\; e^{i(\theta +2k\pi)/n} \text{ for }k=0,1,2, \dots, n-1.
Diode
Hello all,

I've got a bit of a problem trying to find and plot solutions to this equation:

[tex]z^{4}=1-i\sqrt{3}[/tex]

I'm ok to plot things on an Argand diagram and I know there will be 4 to find, but my sources only explain explicitly how to find the nth roots of unity. Any help would be greatly appreciated =]

Physics news on Phys.org
express the right hand side in the polar form: |r| e^(x + 2*n*pi)

then you can take roots on both sides explicity and solve from there.

Would I be right in doing this this?

[tex]z^{4}=2e^{in\frac{\pi }{3}}[/tex]

[tex]z=2e^{\frac{in\frac{\pi }{3}}{4}}[/tex]

with different roots being multiples of n, up to 5?

If you draw it out on an Argand idagram, the argument is [tex] - tan^{-1} \sqrt{3} = -\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

so [tex]z^4 = 2e^{(-\frac{\pi}{3} + 2n\pi)}[/tex]

Diode said:
Would I be right in doing this this?

[tex]z^{4}=2e^{in\frac{\pi }{3}}[/tex]

[tex]z=2e^{\frac{in\frac{\pi }{3}}{4}}[/tex]

with different roots being multiples of n, up to 5?

[tex]1-i\sqrt{3} = 2 e^{i(5\pi/3)}[/tex]

[tex]z^n=re^{i\theta} \Rightarrow z = \sqrt[n]{r}\; e^{i(\theta +2k\pi)/n} \text{ for }k=0,1,2, \dots, n-1[/tex]

--Elucidus

What is the equation "z^4 = 1-i√3" trying to solve?

The equation is trying to find all possible solutions for the complex number z that, when raised to the fourth power, will equal 1 minus the square root of 3i.

What are the steps for solving "z^4 = 1-i√3"?

The first step is to write the complex number in polar form. Then, use De Moivre's Theorem to raise the number to the fourth power. Next, equate the resulting polar form to the given polar form of 1-i√3. Finally, solve for the possible values of z.

How many solutions are there for "z^4 = 1-i√3"?

There are four possible solutions for z. This is because z^4 = 1-i√3 can be written as (z^2)^2 = (1-i√3)^2, and the square root function has two possible solutions. Therefore, when taking the square root twice, there are four possible combinations.

Can the solutions for "z^4 = 1-i√3" be written in rectangular form?

Yes, the solutions can be written in rectangular form by converting the polar form back to rectangular form using the trigonometric identities for sine and cosine. However, it is often easier to leave the solutions in polar form.

What is the significance of the solutions for "z^4 = 1-i√3"?

The solutions represent the fourth roots of the complex number 1-i√3, which can be visualized as the vertices of a regular hexagon on the complex plane. These solutions can be used in a variety of applications, such as solving differential equations or in electronic circuit analysis.