Reviewing How to Find Complex Roots: e.g. x3= 8

In summary, to find complex roots of a number, one can use De Moivre's formula, which involves writing the number in polar coordinates and using trigonometric identities to solve for the roots. In the given example, x^3=8, the roots are 2, -1+isqrt(3), and -1-isqrt(3) obtained by applying De Moivre's formula and using polynomial division. It is also possible to use complex exponential notation to simplify the process.
BloodyFrozen
Does anyone know where I can review finding complex roots?

For example, x3= 8

I know the roots are 2, -1+isqrt(3), and -1-isqrt(3), but I can't remember how to figure it out.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi BloodyFrozen! :smile:

Let me give you the method. The trick is to apply De Moivre's formula. So, the first this to do is to write the complex numbers in polar coordinates. That is

[tex]z^3=8[/tex]

becomes

[tex](r(\cos(\theta)+i\sin(theta)))^3=8(\cos(0)+\sin(0))[/tex]

By De Moivre, we get

[tex]r^3(\cos(3\theta)+i\sin(3\theta))=8(\cos(0)+\sin(0))[/tex]

So we get that

[tex]r^3=8,~\cos(3\theta)=\cos(0),~\sin(3\theta)=\sin(0)[/tex]

So

[tex]r=2, \theta=2\pi k/3~\text{for k an integer}[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]z=2(\cos(2\pi k/3)+i\sin(2\pi k/3).[/tex]

Thus z=2 if k=0, [itex]z=-1+i\sqrt{3}[/itex] for k=1 and [itex]z=-1-\sqrt{3}[/itex] for k=2. Any other value of k will yield the same values.

BloodyFrozen said:
Does anyone know where I can review finding complex roots?

For example, x3= 8

I know the roots are 2, -1+isqrt(3), and -1-isqrt(3), but I can't remember how to figure it out.

X^3 - 8 = 0

By inspection, x = 2 is a root.

(x^3 - 8) / (x-2) = x^2 + 2x + 4, a quadratic that gives the other two roots.

Thanks both:)
micromass:That's what I was looking for
Steve:Ahh, right... can't forget about poly division:P

[tex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
8 & = & 2^3 e^0 &|& 2^3 e^{2\pi i} &|& 2^3 e^{4\pi i} \\
8^{\frac{1}{3}} & = & 2 e^0 &|& 2 e^{\frac{2\pi i}{3}} &|& 2 e^{\frac{4\pi i}{3}} \\
& = & 2 &|& 2\left(\cos\left(\frac{2\pi}{3}\right) + i\sin\left(\frac{2\pi}{3}\right)\right) &|& 2\left(\cos\left(\frac{4\pi}{3}\right) + i\sin\left(\frac{4\pi}{3}\right)\right) \\
& = & 2 &|& 2\left(-\frac{1}{2} + i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) &|& 2\left(-\frac{1}{2} - i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) \\
& = & 2 &|& -1 + i\sqrt{3} &|& -1 - i\sqrt{3} \\
\end{eqnarray*}
[/tex]
This is basically what micromass did, but I find it easier to remember by explicitly writing it as a complex exponential. In fact, for many purposes you can stop at step 2 -- [itex]2 e^{\frac{2\pi i}{3}}[/itex] is likely to be as useful or more than [itex]-1 + i\sqrt{3}[/itex].

1. What is the definition of complex roots?

Complex roots refer to solutions of an equation that involve imaginary numbers, which cannot be expressed as real numbers. They are typically represented in the form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How do you solve equations with complex roots?

To solve equations with complex roots, you can use the quadratic formula or the cubic formula, depending on the degree of the equation. You will also need to use the rules of imaginary numbers, such as i^2=-1, to simplify the calculations.

3. What is the significance of complex roots?

Complex roots have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to solve polynomial equations, calculate areas and volumes of complex shapes, and model physical systems with oscillatory behavior.

4. Can complex roots be found using graphical methods?

Yes, complex roots can be found using graphical methods such as the Argand diagram. This method involves plotting the complex numbers on a plane and using geometric properties to find the roots of an equation.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving equations with complex roots?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the ± symbol when using the quadratic formula, which results in only finding one root instead of both. Another mistake is not simplifying the imaginary numbers correctly, leading to incorrect solutions. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions when solving equations with complex roots.