1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex roots

1. Sep 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm looking for an explanation to something. I've attached a picture of the solution wolfram alpha is giving me.
    I understand the first two zeros, +- (-1)^(1/4)*sqrt(2).
    But i don't understand the other two zeros with the 3/4 power. Where does that power come from?
    image.png

This isn't homework but it is course work. I thought I try some of the other problems out before diving into the actual homework and I'm already stuck lol.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Just a few questions: Why don't you supply the link to Wolfram instead? This would definitely result in a better resolution.
    Anyway, have you tried to factorize ##x^4 + 4## or to put it another way: what do you know about the roots of unity?

4. Sep 10, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The wolfram page mentions that these roots are multiples of the four fourth roots of unity (1). The fourth roots of 1 are i, -1, -1, and 1. They are equally spaced around the unit circle.

5. Sep 10, 2016 #4
    Sorry. I'm on my phone and took a quick screen shot.
    I haven't tried to factorize it yet. I'll give that a shot. I know there is some symmetry in factoring problems like that.
    I don't know anything about roots of unity.
    I figured there was some relation between the first two solutions being 1/4 power and the other two being 3/4 power. I'm assuming "roots of unity" plays a part there.

6. Sep 10, 2016 #5
    Thanks guys. The book has two pages on roots of unity that help with this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted