Complex scalar field

• Thread starter captain
  • Start date
I wanted to ask a quick question about the complex scalar field. My question is that does the scalar field need to be complex in order to include the part for anti-particles or do you regards the scalar field for particles and anti-particles seperate. I saw this specifically when you second quantization to quantize the scalar field that satisfies the Klein-Gordon equation. Are there any advantages and disadvantages of making the scalar field complex if it really doesn't apply to what I mentioned above? Thanks in advance for anybody who can clarify this question.

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
If the field is real, then the particle is its own antiparticle. Note that a real KG field is uncharged.

So, one uses complex KG fields to model spin-0, charged particles, such as the charged pions. (The neutral pion is modeled using a real KG field).

If the field is real, then the particle is its own antiparticle. Note that a real KG field is uncharged.
Not necessarily, according to Shroedinger (Nature (1952), v.169, p.538). I mentioned this article in several posts.