Complex Scalar Product Proof

In summary: I think it is just used to define a specific scalar productIn summary, the conversation involved a discussion about a given assignment to recall a definition of scalar product on complex numbers and to prove that a certain product is a scalar product according to the definition. The computations for the product were written out and the question was raised about what the requirements are for a scalar product and whether this product satisfies those requirements. The purpose of the matrix A was also questioned. However, the group was unsure about the next logical step in the proof.
SoapyIllusion

Homework Statement

This is what we are given in the assignment:

Recall a definition of scalar product on complex numbers. Let A = [[3,1],[1,2]]. Prove that the product as defined by:

* => dot product

u * v := uT * A * conjugate(v)

( = Sum from i,j=1 to 2; uiAijconjugate(vj) )

is a scalar product on C according to the definition.

Homework Equations

We are give that the following equation will be useful:

2(ac) >= -a2 -c2 for all a,c as elements of R

The Attempt at a Solution

There are many of us working on this and we were not even sure exactly how to start this problem. It is trivial to prove the Sum given is equal to uT * A * conjugate(v). But from there we weren't sure exactly what else to prove.

Any help would be extremely appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you written out the computations?
For
[tex]u= \begin{bmatrix}u_1 \\ u_2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]v= \begin{bmatrix}v_1 \\ v_2\end{bmatrix}[tex]

The product is
[tex]u*v= \begin{bmatrix}u_1 & u_2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 \\ 1 & 2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}\overline{v_1} \\ \overline{v_2}\end{bmatrix}= (3u_1+ u_2)\overline{v_1}+ (u_1+ 3u_2)\overline{v_2}[/tex]

Now what are the requirements for a scalar product- what is the definition? Does this satisfy those requirements?

HallsofIvy said:
Have you written out the computations?
For
[tex]u= \begin{bmatrix}u_1 \\ u_2\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]v= \begin{bmatrix}v_1 \\ v_2\end{bmatrix}[tex]

The product is
[tex]u*v= \begin{bmatrix}u_1 & u_2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 \\ 1 & 2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}\overline{v_1} \\ \overline{v_2}\end{bmatrix}= (3u_1+ u_2)\overline{v_1}+ (u_1+ 3u_2)\overline{v_2}[/tex]

Now what are the requirements for a scalar product- what is the definition? Does this satisfy those requirements?

Yes I got this far, my only problem is that I don't see any logical next step, I may be missing something very obvious, but even after reading more about the definition of scalar product I don't understand what more there is to prove

And I also do not understand the purpose of the matrix A

1. What is the definition of a complex scalar product?

A complex scalar product is a mathematical operation that combines two complex numbers to produce a single complex number. It is similar to a dot product in vector algebra, but instead of multiplying the components of two vectors, it multiplies the components of two complex numbers.

2. How is a complex scalar product calculated?

The complex scalar product is calculated by multiplying the real parts of the two complex numbers and adding it to the product of the imaginary parts of the two complex numbers. This can be represented as (a+bi)(c+di) = ac + adi + bci + bd(-1) = (ac-bd) + (ad+bc)i, where a, b, c, and d are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the complex scalar product?

The complex scalar product can be interpreted geometrically as the product of the magnitudes of two complex numbers and the cosine of the angle between them. This means that the complex scalar product can determine the similarity or dissimilarity of two complex numbers.

4. What are the properties of the complex scalar product?

The complex scalar product has several properties, including commutativity, distributivity, and associativity. Additionally, the complex scalar product is also linear, meaning that it follows the rules of linearity such as the scalar multiple rule and the sum rule.

5. How is the complex scalar product used in proofs?

The complex scalar product is often used in proofs involving complex numbers, such as proving orthogonality or the Pythagorean theorem in complex space. It is also commonly used in quantum mechanics and signal processing to represent inner products between complex-valued functions or vectors.