Complex Series of Geologic Processes Generated Seizmic Humming

In summary, an unusual humming was picked up by seismic equipment in 2018, a magma pool drained, flowed up a dyke, when horizontal, and then up to make an underwater volcano. The source of the magma (magma chamber), then could not support the overlying crust. The magma chamber roof slowly collapsed, causing unusual magma chamber resonances. Overlying land sank.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Off Africa, a magma pool drained, flowed up a dyke, when horizontally, and evetually up to make an underwater volcano. The source of the magma (magma chamber), then could not support the overlying crust. Then, a slow limited magma roof collapse, caused a series of earthquakes. Under-supported, overlying crust (crunchy) cracked, to accommodate its reduced support. Then the magma chamber roof slowly collapsed, causing unusual magma chamber resonances. Overlying land sank.
I find this interesting. A pretty detailed description, of a complex geological series of events, that can't be directly seen.

Here's my summary:
In 2018 an usual humming was picked up by seismic equipment an island off Africa, a magma pool drained, flowed up a dyke, when horizontal, and then up to make an underwater volcano. The source of the magma (magma chamber), then could not support the overlying crust. In a slow, limited magma roof collapse, caused a series earthquakes. Under-supported, overlying crust (crunchy) cracks, accommodating its reduced support. This leads to the magma chamber roof's slow collapse, causing unusual magma chamber resonances. Overlying land sank.

Here is an open access link to the paper:

Nature Geoscience | VOL 13 | January 2020 | 87–93 | www.nature.com/naturegeoscience 87

Abstract:
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 4.34.12 PM.png

Summary:
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 4.35.51 PM.png

• Informative
Likes davenn
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
Summary:: Off Africa, a magma pool drained, flowed up a dyke, when horizontally, and evetually up to make an underwater volcano. The source of the magma (magma chamber), then could not support the overlying crust. Then, a slow limited magma roof collapse, caused a series of earthquakes. Under-supported, overlying crust (crunchy) cracked, to accommodate its reduced support. Then the magma chamber roof slowly collapsed, causing unusual magma chamber resonances. Overlying land sank.

I find this interesting. A pretty detailed description, of a complex geological series of events, that can't be directly seen.

Interesting, I remember a thread on that way back then and vaguely remember recording that signal
on my own system, tho not very strongly from half a world away
Dave

Likes Nik_2213 and BillTre
Yeah.
I remember something like that too, but could not find it in a quick search.

Likes davenn
davenn said:
Interesting, I remember a thread on that way back then and vaguely remember recording that signal
on my own system, tho not very strongly from half a world away

Found it!

I've been thinking about the volumes involved:
Magma Chamber Size: 10-15 km diameter, Area of (10-15 km circle: (78.5 to 188.5 km2)
Depth of Magma Chamber: 20-25 km deep
Moho (solid/plastic transition border?) depth: ?
Change in Magma Chamber Volume: 1.3 (or 1.7) km3 -->1.3 (or 1.7) km3 / Area)
Volume of Volcano (expelled magma volume): 1.3 km3
Sinking of Land, how much (18 cm (0.00018 km)), volume 1.7 km3 (from paper)

It occurs to me that the resonant frequency(s) of the humm sound could be informative of the size and shape of the magma chamber. There may be too many unknown physical variables though.

Likes Nik_2213 and davenn

1. What causes seismic humming?

Seismic humming is caused by a complex series of geologic processes, including tectonic plate movement, volcanic activity, and the movement of fluids within the Earth's crust.

2. How is seismic humming measured?

Seismic humming is measured using seismometers, which detect and record the vibrations caused by these geologic processes. These vibrations are then analyzed to determine the frequency and intensity of the humming.

3. Can seismic humming be predicted?

While scientists can track and monitor the geologic processes that contribute to seismic humming, it is difficult to predict when and where it will occur. However, advancements in technology and research are helping to improve our understanding and ability to forecast seismic activity.

4. Is seismic humming dangerous?

In most cases, seismic humming is not dangerous and is simply a natural occurrence. However, it can sometimes be a precursor to larger earthquakes or volcanic eruptions, which can pose a threat to human life and infrastructure.

5. How does seismic humming impact the environment?

Seismic humming can have various impacts on the environment, such as causing changes in groundwater levels, triggering landslides, and altering the behavior of animals. It can also contribute to the formation of new landforms and geological features.