Finding Domain of Convergence for Complex Series

In summary, the domain of absolute convergence for the given series is all complex numbers. The ratio test was used to simplify the series, which resulted in a constant term that did not depend on the complex variable z. Therefore, the limit of the series is always zero, and the answer can be expressed in terms of z.
elimenohpee

Homework Statement

I need to find the domain of absolute convergence of the following series:

[tex]^{\infty}_{1}[/tex][tex]\sum(z+3)^{2n}/(2n)![/tex]

Homework Equations

Ratio test?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to handle the complex variable z within the series. I attempted to use the ratio test and simplified down to this:

[tex]lim (n->\infty) |(z+3)^{2}/(2n+1)(2n+2)|[/tex]

I'm assuming I simplified this down to this point correctly of course. Can someone nudge me in the right direction? I just need to know how to handle z.

Physics news on Phys.org
z really doesn't need any 'handling'. It's just some fixed complex number. What's the limit as n -> infinity?

It would be zero correct?

I can't find any examples with complex series, but from my text it states they are almost identical to real valued series. If the series ended up being non-zero, is the answer just expressed in terms of z?

It would be zero.

(z + 3)^2 = 8 + 6z = 8 + 6(-1)^0.5, which is a constant.

So the limit becomes,

|8+6z| * the limit

And the limit approaches zero.

elimenohpee said:
It would be zero correct?

I can't find any examples with complex series, but from my text it states they are almost identical to real valued series. If the series ended up being non-zero, is the answer just expressed in terms of z?

If the limit depends on z, then you need to express it in terms of z. Here it doesn't.

What is the definition of domain of convergence for a complex series?

The domain of convergence for a complex series is the set of all complex numbers for which the series converges, meaning it has a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity.

How do you determine the domain of convergence for a complex series?

To determine the domain of convergence for a complex series, you must use a convergence test, such as the ratio test or the root test, to determine the values for which the series converges. These tests involve taking the limit of the ratio or root of the terms in the series, and if the limit is less than 1, the series converges.

What happens if the convergence test is inconclusive?

If the convergence test is inconclusive, meaning the limit is equal to 1, then further analysis is needed to determine the domain of convergence. This could involve using other convergence tests or determining the radius of convergence for the series.

Can a complex series have a different domain of convergence for different parts of the series?

Yes, it is possible for a complex series to have a different domain of convergence for different parts of the series. This typically occurs when the series has a singularity or a point where the series fails to converge, and thus the domain of convergence is different on either side of the singularity.

Why is it important to find the domain of convergence for a complex series?

It is important to find the domain of convergence for a complex series because it tells us the range of values for which the series will converge. This information is crucial in using the series to solve problems or make predictions in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.