1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex signals

1. Aug 11, 2007 #1
    Hi all,
    I want to know about the complex signals.They say that it is a complex signal and cannot be plotted but at the same time give analogy with cosine or sine functions.Please clear me about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2007 #2
    Who told you that complex signals can't be plotted? Of course they can be plotted, but in the complex plane of course. There is also a direct relation between complex exponentials and cosines and sines. It is called euler's equation. It is too complicated to explain it all here, but if you want to learn more I highly recommend a very simple (but very correct) book on the subject titled "Who is Fourier? A Mathematical Adventure" by the Transnational College of Lex. It explains it all in great detail.

4. Aug 13, 2007 #3
    kkk,One thing I want to know that complex signals have one real and one imaginary part.So whether plotting on real and imaginary and theta would be in 3-D.
    Or please provide me a link where I can see any complex graph plotted.

5. Aug 13, 2007 #4
    http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/mdft/Complex_Plane.html

The horizonal part is the real numbers: like 1,2,3.1, etc

The vertical is the imaginary numbers. Really there is nothing imaginary about them. It is just a (stupid) name. The imaginary numbers are the square root of -1 multiplied by a real number. Needless to say, the square root of -1 doesn't exist on the real number line.

For a three D graph search for "LaPlace Transform".

6. Aug 14, 2007 #5
    thanks wildman ..
    i am satisfied now..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?