1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

COMPLEX SOLUTIONS help!

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1
    First problem
    z^2+2z+1=0
    where the z in 2z is the conjugate (has a little line ontop)
    I just ignored the conjugate because I wasn't sure how to solve it, and I got -1 which is one of the solutions but there's also 1+2i and 1-2i which I understand because they're both conjugate of each other but I don't understand how they got it.
    Second problem
    z^3-3z^2+4z-12=0 given 2i is a solution... I don't even understand what they mean.
    Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2008 #2
    As I see your problem is
    [tex]z^{2} + 2 z^{*} + 1 = 0[/tex]

if you will search solution in following form [tex]z = a + i b[/tex], [tex]a, b[/tex] are both real numbers and insert it to your main equation then you will have system of two simple algebraic equations under [tex]a, b[/tex] and you'll find [tex]a = 1, b = \pm 2[/tex]. Solve your second problem in the same way and get the answer.

4. Apr 27, 2008 #3
    I get that z=a+ib but how did you get values for a and b? I feel really stupid asking this but I dont see it. I tried solving it and then making b=0 and a=0 and I'm not getting 1 and 2 as values...

5. Apr 27, 2008 #4
    What are your equations for a and b?

6. Apr 27, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do the algebra. If z= a+ ib, then [itex]\overline{z}[/itex]= a- ib so [itex]z^2+ 2\overline{z}+ 1= (a+ ib)^2+ 2(a- ib)+ 1= 0[/itex]. Separate the real and imaginary parts and you have two equations for a and b.

7. Apr 27, 2008 #6
    Yeah I got that far but i'm not sure how to seperate real and imaginary parts. Is it literally just placing all the real parts and making them equal to 0 and all the imaginary parts and make them equal to 0? Sorry our lecturer didn't go through this and so I'm just left lost. :shy:
    Thank you

8. Apr 27, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it literally is! If a+ bi= c+ di, then a= c and b= d. That's part of the definition of "complex number".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?