Solving Complex Equations: Understanding Conjugates and Imaginary Solutions

• Thread starter tizzful
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving equations with complex numbers, where the second problem is given a solution of 2i. The expert summarizer suggests using the form z=a+ib to solve for the values of a and b in both equations. The key is to separate the real and imaginary parts and solve for a and b separately.
tizzful
First problem
z^2+2z+1=0
where the z in 2z is the conjugate (has a little line ontop)
I just ignored the conjugate because I wasn't sure how to solve it, and I got -1 which is one of the solutions but there's also 1+2i and 1-2i which I understand because they're both conjugate of each other but I don't understand how they got it.
Second problem
z^3-3z^2+4z-12=0 given 2i is a solution... I don't even understand what they mean.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
tizzful said:
First problem
z^2+2z+1=0
where the z in 2z is the conjugate (has a little line ontop)
I just ignored the conjugate because I wasn't sure how to solve it, and I got -1 which is one of the solutions but there's also 1+2i and 1-2i which I understand because they're both conjugate of each other but I don't understand how they got it.
Second problem
z^3-3z^2+4z-12=0 given 2i is a solution... I don't even understand what they mean.
Please help!

As I see your problem is
[tex]z^{2} + 2 z^{*} + 1 = 0[/tex]

if you will search solution in following form [tex]z = a + i b[/tex], [tex]a, b[/tex] are both real numbers and insert it to your main equation then you will have system of two simple algebraic equations under [tex]a, b[/tex] and you'll find [tex]a = 1, b = \pm 2[/tex]. Solve your second problem in the same way and get the answer.

I get that z=a+ib but how did you get values for a and b? I feel really stupid asking this but I don't see it. I tried solving it and then making b=0 and a=0 and I'm not getting 1 and 2 as values...

tizzful said:
I get that z=a+ib but how did you get values for a and b? I feel really stupid asking this but I don't see it. I tried solving it and then making b=0 and a=0 and I'm not getting 1 and 2 as values...

What are your equations for a and b?

Do the algebra. If z= a+ ib, then [itex]\overline{z}[/itex]= a- ib so [itex]z^2+ 2\overline{z}+ 1= (a+ ib)^2+ 2(a- ib)+ 1= 0[/itex]. Separate the real and imaginary parts and you have two equations for a and b.

Yeah I got that far but I'm not sure how to separate real and imaginary parts. Is it literally just placing all the real parts and making them equal to 0 and all the imaginary parts and make them equal to 0? Sorry our lecturer didn't go through this and so I'm just left lost. :shy:
Thank you

Yes, it literally is! If a+ bi= c+ di, then a= c and b= d. That's part of the definition of "complex number".

What are complex solutions?

Complex solutions are solutions to mathematical equations that involve imaginary numbers. They are written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

Why are complex solutions important?

Complex solutions are important because they allow us to solve equations that cannot be solved using only real numbers. They are also essential in many areas of science, engineering, and technology.

How do complex solutions help in scientific research?

Complex solutions play a crucial role in scientific research by providing a way to model and understand complex systems. They are used in fields such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.

What is the difference between real and complex solutions?

The main difference between real and complex solutions is that real solutions involve only real numbers, while complex solutions involve both real and imaginary numbers. Real solutions can be plotted on a number line, while complex solutions require a two-dimensional graph.

How can I solve equations with complex solutions?

To solve equations with complex solutions, you can use techniques such as factoring, completing the square, or the quadratic formula. It's also important to understand the properties of complex numbers and how to perform operations with them.