Solve e^z=1: Complex Solutions

• Thread starter wany
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation involves solving the equation e^z=1 by using the fact that e^z=e^x*e^iy and setting 1=r cis \theta. It is determined that r must be equal to 1, and therefore x must be equal to 0, in order for the equation to be satisfied. This is because the radius of e^z must also be equal to 1 in order for the equation to hold. Alternatively, it is noted that 1 can be represented as 1e^(2n\pi)=1cis(2n\pi), which can be used to solve for z=2piin.
wany

Homework Statement

solve [tex]e^z=1[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]e^z=e^xe^{iy}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So let [tex]1=r cis \theta[/tex]
so then
[tex]e^x=r[/tex]
[tex]e^{iy}=cis \theta[/tex]
Then this happens when [tex]y=2k\pi i[/tex] for k=...,-1,0,1,...
Then x=log(r).

I know I am missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
wany said:

Homework Statement

solve [tex]e^z=1[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]e^z=e^xe^{iy}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So let [tex]1=r cis \theta[/tex]
so then
[tex]e^x=r[/tex]
[tex]e^{iy}=cis \theta[/tex]
Then this happens when [tex]y=2k\pi i[/tex] for k=...,-1,0,1,...
Then x=log(r).

I know I am missing something.

Doesn't r have to equal 1 here?

r=1. Is that what you are missing?

Why does r have to equal 1? Or is this because r is the radius and therefore it must be 1?
Then since r=1, x=0 since ln(1)=0.

I thought of a better way to do this. 1 = e^(2 pi i n) for all integer n, right?

So, e^(z) = e^(2 pi i n), and it's reasonable to conclude that z=2*pi*i*n.

wany said:
Why does r have to equal 1? Or is this because r is the radius and therefore it must be 1?
Then since r=1, x=0 since ln(1)=0.

It's because |cis(y)|=1. e^x*cis(y)=1 so |e^x|*|cis(y)|=1 means |e^x| must also be 1.

Alright thank you very much for your help. That makes sense. Have a great weekend.

Or, another way of looking at it: in the complex plane, 1 is on the "real" axis, at a distance 1 from 0, at an angle, with the x-axis, of 0 (or, more generally, [itex]2n\pi[/itex]. That's why [itex]1= 1e^{2n\pi}= 1(cos(2n\pi)+ i sin(2n\pi))= 1 cis(2n\pi)[/itex].

1. What is the general solution for e^z=1?

The general solution for e^z=1 is z = 2πni, where n is any integer. This is because e^z=1 can be rewritten as e^(2πni)=1, where e^(2πni) represents the unit circle in the complex plane.

2. Are there any other solutions for e^z=1 besides the general solution?

Yes, there are infinitely many solutions for e^z=1. In addition to the general solution, there are also solutions where z = 2πni + 2kπ, where k is any integer. This is because the unit circle wraps around infinitely, so any multiple of 2π can also be a solution.

3. How do I find the complex solutions for e^z=1?

To find the complex solutions for e^z=1, you can start by rewriting the equation as e^(x+iy)=1, where z = x+iy. Then, use the identity e^(x+iy)=e^x(cosy+isiny). Since e^z=1, e^x must equal 1, which means x = 0. This leaves us with the equation cos(y)+isin(y)=1. From here, you can use trigonometric identities to solve for y and find all possible values for z.

4. Are there any real solutions for e^z=1?

Yes, there is one real solution for e^z=1, which is z = 0. This is because when z = 0, e^z=1 becomes e^0=1, which is a true statement. However, all other solutions for e^z=1 will be complex numbers.

5. Can e^z ever have imaginary solutions?

Yes, e^z can have imaginary solutions. In fact, all solutions for e^z=1 will have an imaginary component, except for the real solution z=0. This is because the natural logarithm function, ln(z), is a multivalued function in the complex plane. So, e^z=1 can have infinitely many solutions depending on which branch of the natural logarithm is used to solve for z.