Analyzing f(z): Evaluating f'''(6)

• Thread starter squaremeplz
  • Start date
In summary, by using the ratio test, it was determined that f(z) is analytic on the circle of convergence C: 0 < |z - 6| < 2. The third derivative, f'''(6), was evaluated and found to be (-1)^3 * (3)^2 / 2^3 * 3 * 2 * 1 * 1. However, the radius of convergence was incorrectly stated as 1/2 instead of 2. This means that the sum converges on the disk 0 < |z - 6| < 2, where each individual term in the sum is analytic and therefore f(z) is analytic on this disk.
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

a) determine where f(z) is analytic.

f(z) = sum from n to inf. [ ( (-1)^n * n^2 ) / ( 2^n ) * (z - 6)^n ]

b) evaluate f'''(6)

Homework Equations

ratio test

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I used the ratio test and found that f(z) is analytic on the circle of convergence C: | z - 6 | < 1/2.

b) I found the 3rd derivative of the sum as

f'''(z) = sum from 0 to inf [ ( (-1)^n * n^2 ) / ( 2^n ) * n * (n-1) * (n-2) * (z - 6)^(n-3) ]

then when i plug in 6 into this i get

f'''(6) = 0

any suggestions or comments are much apperciated. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The third derivative of your sum is going to come only from the n=3 term in the sum. It's not zero. (z-6)^(3-3)=1, not zero. And the sum for your third derivative should be the sum from 3 to inf.

ok so

f'''(z) = sum from 3 to inf [ ( (-1)^n * n^2 ) / ( 2^n ) * n * (n-1) * (n-2) * (z - 6)^(n-3) ]

f'''(6) = sum from 3 to inf [ ( (-1)^n * n^2 ) / ( 2^n ) * n * (n-1) * (n-2) * (6 - 6)^(n-3) ]

f'''(6) = sum from 3 to inf [ ( (-1)^n * n^2 ) / ( 2^n ) * n * (n-1) * (n-2) * (0)^(n-3) ]

All the terms vanish except for n=3. I'll say it once more. (z-6)^(3-3)=1.

so f'''(6) = (-1)^3 * (3)^2 / 2^3 * 3 * 2 * 1 * 1 ?

I'm sorry, was my radius of convergence ok?

squaremeplease said:
so f'''(6) = (-1)^3 * (3)^2 / 2^3 * 3 * 2 * 1 * 1 ?

I'm sorry, was my radius of convergence ok?

I didn't look closely at it the first time but no it's not. Why do you think it's 1/2? What did you get from the ratio test for the limit a_(n+1)/a_n?

I did

| (-1)^(n+1) * (n+1)^2 * 1/( 2^(n+1)) * (z-6)^(n+1) * 2^n/( (-1)^n * n^2 * (z-6)^n ) |

= (n+1)^2 * 1 / (2*n^2) * |z-6|

lim n->inf (n+1)^2 * 1 / (2*n^2) = 1/2

so 1/2|z-6| < 1

oh.. did I make the mistake there

|z-6| = 2 ?

also, is this the circle where f(z) is analytic?

thanks!

squaremeplease said:
I did

| (-1)^(n+1) * (n+1)^2 * 1/( 2^(n+1)) * (z-6)^(n+1) * 2^n/( (-1)^n * n^2 * (z-6)^n ) |

= (n+1)^2 * 1 / (2*n^2) * |z-6|

lim n->inf (n+1)^2 * 1 / (2*n^2) = 1/2

so 1/2|z-6| < 1

This last line should be [itex]0<\frac{1}{2}|z-6|<1[/itex] and hence the sum converges on the disk [itex]0<|z-6|<2[/itex]...

also, is this the circle where f(z) is analytic?

The ratio test tells you where the sum converges. It so happens that each individual term in the sum is a polynomial in [itex]z[/itex]; hence each term is analytic. That means that the sum will be analytic so long as it exists/converges, and therefor [itex]f(z)[/itex] is analytic on the disk [itex]0<|z-6|<2[/itex]

1. What is the meaning of "f(z)" in the context of analyzing f'''(6)?

The notation "f(z)" represents a function with an input variable of "z". In this context, we are analyzing the third derivative of the function f at the specific value of 6.

2. How is f'''(6) different from the first and second derivatives of f?

The first derivative of f represents the rate of change of the function at a given point, while the second derivative represents the rate of change of the first derivative. The third derivative, f'''(6), represents the rate of change of the second derivative at the specific input value of 6.

3. What information can be obtained from analyzing f'''(6)?

By analyzing the third derivative of f at the value of 6, we can determine the rate of change of the second derivative at that point. This can provide information about the curvature and concavity of the original function f at that specific point.

4. How is f'''(6) calculated?

To calculate f'''(6), we first need to find the second derivative of f, then take the derivative of that second derivative function. Finally, we plug in the value of 6 for the input variable in the resulting function.

5. What are some applications of analyzing f'''(6)?

Analyzing f'''(6) can be useful in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where understanding the curvature and concavity of a function can provide valuable insights. It can also be used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.