Complex Summation: Understanding Discrete Time Function

In summary: I was just trying to figure out how to get the real result from the fraction, and I figured that the summation would give me the real result.
WolfOfTheSteps
This is not really a homework problem, but I'm studying a text, and I came across this:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4586/sumh.jpg

I know how to get that fraction with the exponents in it (using a summation formula). But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to manipulate that fraction to give the final result.

For example, if I put k=0 into that fraction, I get 0/0, not 5. I tried a bunch of manipulation of the fraction to get sines and cosines, and make the denominator real, but I still can't get a closed form solution that gives the final result.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

UPDATE: Forgot to mention, this is a discrete time function. k is always an integer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I totally forgot about that factoring trick:

[tex]
1-e^{-j x} = e^{-j x/2}(e^{j x/2}-e^{-j x/2}) = e^{-j x/2}jsin(x/2)
[/tex]

That's all I needed!

UPDATE:

Wait, I was wrong. :frown: :frown:

Even with that factoring trick, I get:

[tex]
e^{-j(\pi k-\pi k/5)}*sin(\pi k)/sin(\pi k/5)
[/tex]

But this is still 0/0 for k=0. How do I get the real result?? I'm so frustrated with this! :confused:

Last edited:
No matter what k is, the top is 0. If k is not 0,+/-5,+/-10,..., then the bottom is not 0, so that is how they get 0 for otherwise. For k=0,+/-5,+/-10,..., you need to find the limit as k approaches those values, because 0/0 has no meaning. Use l'Hospital's rule to evaluate your function at those points.

n!kofeyn said:
No matter what k is, the top is 0. If k is not 0,+/-5,+/-10,..., then the bottom is not 0, so that is how they get 0 for otherwise. For k=0,+/-5,+/-10,..., you need to find the limit as k approaches those values, because 0/0 has no meaning. Use l'Hospital's rule to evaluate your function at those points.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Also, instead of going to L'Hospital's rule, I could just go back to the summation for k=0,+-5, etc and show that it is a summation of ones... while the fraction would prove the "0 otherwise" for the other k values. This would work too.

Thanks a lot!

No problem. Yea, you're right about the summation giving you the five.

What is complex summation?

Complex summation is a mathematical operation that involves adding a series of complex numbers together. It is similar to regular summation, but instead of working with real numbers, it works with complex numbers that have both a real and imaginary component.

What is a discrete time function?

A discrete time function is a mathematical function that maps a set of discrete time values to a set of complex numbers. It is often used in signal processing and digital signal analysis, and is represented by a sequence of values at specific time intervals.

How is complex summation used in discrete time functions?

Complex summation is used in discrete time functions to calculate the overall value of a sequence of complex numbers at different time intervals. It allows us to combine individual values into a single value, which can then be used for further analysis or processing.

What are some common applications of complex summation and discrete time functions?

Complex summation and discrete time functions have many applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They are commonly used in signal processing, digital filtering, and data compression. They also play a crucial role in the analysis of digital and analog signals.

How can I improve my understanding of complex summation and discrete time functions?

To improve your understanding of complex summation and discrete time functions, it is essential to have a strong foundation in complex numbers, algebra, and calculus. You can also practice solving problems and working with real-world applications to gain a deeper understanding of these concepts. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and working with a tutor or mentor can also be helpful.