What is the Taylor expansion of ln(1+z)?

In summary, the Taylor expansion for ln(1+z) can be found by summing the nth derivatives of f(z) at z=z0. Once the expansion is found, it can be applied to the various f(n)(z0) terms to get the final result.
Sonolum

Homework Statement

Develop the Taylor expansion of ln(1+z).

Homework Equations

Taylor Expansion: f(z) = sum (n=0 to infinity) (z-z0)n{f(n)(z0)}/{n!}

Cauchy Integral Formula: f(z) = (1/(2*pi*i)) <<Closed Integral>> {dz' f(z')} / {z'-z}

The Attempt at a Solution

I have NO idea how to start this problem. I know what a Taylor Series is, but I'm not sure how to apply that idea here...

Do I just plug and chug into the Taylor Series expression with z0 = 0? If so, what am I doing with the f(n)(z0) stuff? We've done a bunch of stuff with residues in class, but I just can't see how all that is relating. There are several more problems in this section, and I haven't the slightest how to start them! I'm hoping if I can get this one figured out, then I can extrapolate the method to the other problems (even though they're binomial and Laurent expansion).

Can anybody help?! Thank you all so SO much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you realize that f(n)(z0) means the nth derivative of f(z), evaluated at z=z0?

I.e.,
f(1)(z0) means f'(z) at z=z0
f(2)(z0) means f''(z) at z=z0
etc.

Yes, I realize that.

in this case, f(z)=ln(1+z), f'(z) = (1+z)^(-1)*z', f''(z) = -(1+z)^(-2)*z' + (1+z)^-1*z'', by the chain rule, right?

I understand the notation... But how is it that I "develop" the expansion?

Sonolum said:
Taylor Expansion: f(z) = sum (n=0 to infinity) (z-z0)n{f(n)(z0)}/{n!}

So is it blandly: f(z) = sum (n=0 to infinity) zn{f(n)(0)}/{n!}?

Hang on, I'm still having a problem, can someone help? I'm getting:

f(0) = ln(1) = 0
f'(0) = 1/(1+0) = 1
f''(0) = -1/(1+0)^2 = -1
f'''(0) = 2/(1+0)^3 = 2
f''''(0) = -3/(1+0)^4 = -3
(and so on...)

I can't quite figure out how to get it into the form sum(n=1 to infinity) [(-1)(n-1) ]*[(zn)/n], though, because I've got a (-1) and a (+1) for the first two terms...

So I'll have:

f(z) = z0f(0)(0) / 0! + z1f(1)(0) / 1! + z2f(2)(0) / 2! + z3f(3)(0) / 3! z4f(4)(0) / 4! + ...
f(z)= 1*f(0) / 1 + z*f'(0)/1 + z2f''(0)/2 + z3f'''(0)/6 + z4f''''(0)/24 + ...
f(z) = 1 * 0 / 1 + z * 1 / 1 + z2* (-1) / 2 + z3 * 2 / 6 + z4*(-3)/24 + ...
f(z) = z - (1/2)z2 + (1/3)z3 - (1/8)z4 + ...

I'm not seeing any way that I can get this into the correct form, so I must've messed up my differentiation??

Redo f''''(z), it's not quite right.

Sonolum said:
f''''(0) = -3/(1+0)^4 = -3

Should be:
f''''(0) = -6/(1+0)^4 = -6

So I'l have:
f(z) = z0f(0)(0) / 0! + z1f(1)(0) / 1! + z2f(2)(0) / 2! + z3f(3)(0) / 3! z4f(4)(0) / 4! + ...
f(z)= 1*f(0) / 1 + z*f'(0)/1 + z2f''(0)/2 + z3f'''(0)/6 + z4f''''(0)/24 + ...
f(z) = 1 * 0 / 1 + z * 1 / 1 + z2* (-1) / 2 + z3 * 2 / 6 + z4*(-6)/24 + ...
f(z) = z - (1/2)z2 + (1/3)z3 - (1/4)z4 + ...

And that resolved the problem! Excellent, thank you for finding my error! ^_^

You're welcome :smile:

What is a Complex Taylor Expansion?

A Complex Taylor Expansion is a method used in complex analysis to represent a complex-valued function as an infinite polynomial sum. It is a generalization of the Taylor series for real-valued functions.

How is a Complex Taylor Expansion different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series only applies to real-valued functions, while a Complex Taylor Expansion applies to complex-valued functions. Additionally, the coefficients in a Taylor series are real numbers, while the coefficients in a Complex Taylor Expansion can be complex numbers.

What is the formula for a Complex Taylor Expansion?

The formula for a Complex Taylor Expansion is given by f(z) = ∑(n=0 to ∞) [f⁽ⁿ⁾(z₀)/n!] * (z-z₀)^n, where f⁽ⁿ⁾(z₀) represents the nth derivative of the function f at the point z₀.

Why is the Complex Taylor Expansion useful?

The Complex Taylor Expansion allows us to approximate complex-valued functions in a specific point using a polynomial, which can then be used for calculations and analysis. It is also used in solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of complex functions near singularities.

Are there any limitations to using the Complex Taylor Expansion?

Yes, the Complex Taylor Expansion is only useful for functions that can be represented as an infinite polynomial sum. It may not converge for all complex numbers, and it is important to consider the radius of convergence when using this method. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as the distance from the point of expansion increases.