Complex Trig DE: Simplifying sin(Pi t)/4

In summary, the conversation was about simplifying an equation involving sine and Euler's identity. The solution involved using the equation e^(i theta) - e^(-i theta) = 2i sin(theta) and substituting the given value of theta to find the final answer of sin(pi t/4).
jlatshaw

Homework Statement

Hello,
I am in differential equations currently and I have a homework question regarding simplifying

sin( Pi t)/4

into

.5 * i E^(-.25 i pi t) - .5 * i E^(.25 i pi t)

Homework Equations

I think they might be using Euler's Identity, but I am unsure.
E^(a + ib)t = E^(at) (cos[bt] + i sin[bt])​​

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if you subtract these two equations:$$
e^{i\theta} = \cos\theta + i\sin\theta$$ $$
e^{-i\theta} = \cos\theta - i\sin\theta$$

I get:

2 i Sin(theta)

Even still, how does that get me closer to my end?

Thank you.
-James

You didn't write the whole equation. When you add/subtract two equations you get another equation.

Ok,

E^(i theta) - E^(-i theta) = 2 i sin(theta)

I'm still a little bit confused as to where I can go from this.
I like the way the right hand side of the equation is looking, but I don't know what to do with the imaginary component in 2 i sin(theta)

Thanks,
-James

Look at what you have and what you are trying to get and what value of ##\theta## you need.

Ok, so I have

knowing:
E^(i theta) = cos(theta) + i sin(theta)
E^(-i theta) = cos(theta) - i sin(theta)
so
.5 i E^(i theta) = .5 i (cos(theta) + i sin(theta)) = .5 (i cos(theta) - sin(theta))
.5 i E^(i -theta) = .5 i (cos(theta) - i sin(theta)) = .5 (i cos(theta) + sin(theta))

I guess we can let theta = .25 pi t
Can I say,
-.5 i E^(i theta) + .5 i E^(i -theta)
= -.5 (i cos(theta) - sin(theta)) + .5 (i cos(theta) + sin(theta))
= sin(theta)
= sin(.25 pi t)

But where does the 1/4 come into play?

So sorry! made a big bobo!

I want to show:
.5 * i E^(-.25 i pi t) - .5 * i E^(.25 i pi t) = Sin(pi t/4)
Using the above does just that.

Thanks so much! :)

You are making this way too hard. You already have this:

jlatshaw said:
Ok,

E^(i theta) - E^(-i theta) = 2 i sin(theta)

Now, instead of doing everything all over like you have here:

jlatshaw said:
Ok, so I have

knowing:
E^(i theta) = cos(theta) + i sin(theta)
E^(-i theta) = cos(theta) - i sin(theta)
so
.5 i E^(i theta) = .5 i (cos(theta) + i sin(theta)) = .5 (i cos(theta) - sin(theta))
.5 i E^(i -theta) = .5 i (cos(theta) - i sin(theta)) = .5 (i cos(theta) + sin(theta))

I guess we can let theta = .25 pi t
Can I say,
-.5 i E^(i theta) + .5 i E^(i -theta)
= -.5 (i cos(theta) - sin(theta)) + .5 (i cos(theta) + sin(theta))
= sin(theta)
= sin(.25 pi t)

But where does the 1/4 come into play?

Just put your ##\theta = \frac{\pi t}{4}## in that equation you already have at the top of this post:$$
e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta} = 2i\sin\theta$$Lose the decimals, do the substitution, and solve that equation for the sine term.

1. What is a complex trigonometric differential equation?

A complex trigonometric differential equation is an equation that involves both complex numbers and trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, in the form of derivatives. These equations can be challenging to solve, as they require knowledge of both complex numbers and trigonometry.

2. Why is it important to simplify complex trigonometric differential equations?

Simplifying complex trigonometric differential equations can make them easier to solve and understand. It can also help in finding general solutions and making predictions about the behavior of the system described by the equation.

3. How do you simplify sin(Pi t)/4?

To simplify sin(Pi t)/4, you can use the trigonometric identity sin(x)/4 = (1/2)(1-cos(2x)). In this case, x is Pi t, so the simplified form would be (1/2)(1-cos(2Pi t)).

4. Are there any other methods for simplifying complex trigonometric differential equations?

Yes, there are other methods such as using trigonometric identities, substitution, and integration by parts. The method used will depend on the specific equation and its complexity.

5. Can complex trigonometric differential equations be solved without simplification?

Yes, it is possible to solve complex trigonometric differential equations without simplification, but it may be more difficult and time-consuming. Simplifying the equation can make the solution process more manageable and efficient.