What is the Correct Solution for this Complex Trigonometric Limit?

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the solution to the limit \lim_{z \to 0} \frac{sin z}{z(z+i)} using L'Hopital's rule and the fact that \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{sin(x)}{x}=1 for both real and complex numbers. The conversation also touches on the equivalence of 1/i and -i.
Zipi Damn
[itex]\lim_{z \to 0} \frac{sin z}{z(z+i)}[/itex]

I applied L'Hopital and I got:

[itex]\lim_{z \to 0} \frac{cos z}{2z+i}=\frac{1}{i}[/itex]

Wolphram Alpha's solution is -i. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Convince yourself that 1/i and -i are the same.

Likes 1 person
I think I will not pass the test.

Thanks.

L'Hopital isn't really necessary here. One limit typically proved in Calculus I is [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)}{x}= 1[/itex] for x real but it is easy to see that it is true for complex numbers also. So
[tex]\lim_{z\to 0}\frac{sin(z)}{z(z+1)}= \left(\lim_{z\to 0}\frac{sin(z)}{z}\right)\left(\lim_{z\to 0} \frac{1}{z+ i}\right)[/tex][tex]= (1)(1/(0+ i)= 1/i= -i[/tex].

Of course, i(-i)= -i^2= -(-1)= 1 so -i= 1/i.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

1. What is a complex trigonometric limit?

A complex trigonometric limit is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value of a function at a certain point as that point approaches a complex number, which is a number with both a real and imaginary component. It is used to study the behavior of functions near complex numbers and can be solved using techniques from complex analysis.

2. How is a complex trigonometric limit different from a real trigonometric limit?

A complex trigonometric limit involves finding the value of a function at a complex number, while a real trigonometric limit involves finding the value of a function at a real number. This means that the techniques and methods used to solve these limits are different, as complex numbers have both real and imaginary parts that must be considered.

3. What are some common functions involved in complex trigonometric limits?

Some common functions involved in complex trigonometric limits include sine, cosine, tangent, and their inverse functions. These functions can be expressed in terms of complex numbers and can be used to solve complex trigonometric limits.

4. Why are complex trigonometric limits important in mathematics?

Complex trigonometric limits are important in mathematics because they allow us to study the behavior of functions near complex numbers, which can be useful in various applications such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also provide a deeper understanding of complex numbers and their properties.

5. How can one approach solving a complex trigonometric limit?

Solving a complex trigonometric limit involves using techniques from complex analysis, such as L'Hopital's rule, Taylor series, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. It is also important to understand the properties of complex numbers and how they relate to trigonometric functions. Practice and familiarity with these concepts can help in approaching and solving complex trigonometric limits.