1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Variable: Conformal Mappings

1. Sep 22, 2004 #1
    Hello, i have this q.

The problem is that i need to transform the region 0<Re(z)<pi/2 into the unit circle. Now here is what ive done.

First i transform z_1=iz (rotate pi/2)
    then z_2=Im(z_1)/(pi/2-Im(z_1)) (expand the band onto the whole upper plane)
    and then z_3=(1/2+iz_2)/(1/2-iz_2) (transform the upper plain into the unit circle).

Now, substituting i get w(z)=(pi/2-Re(z)(1-2i))/(pi/2-Re(z)(1+2i)).

Is this correct?

Ive shown that the transformation is 1-1. Is this enough to state that is conformal or do i need to prove something else (that it is analytical, wich is not clear for me). If so, what criteria would you suggest (less work)?

Plus, i need to do the same with the intersection of two discs (r=1 centers (1,0) and (0,1)) and in that case i have no clue how... should i send one part of the boundary to y=0 and the other to y=infinitum and then do the last transform or there is an easier way?

ps. sorry for bad english

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2004 #2
    pss.... never mind... is much easier with the exponential function

i cant belive nobody tried to help me though... isn't a lot of mathematicians here?

did i post this in the wrong place?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?