1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Complex variables(1)

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm beginning my studies in complex variables and have some questions...

Q1) We know that x2=9 => x=+/- √9 = +/- 3.
    Suppose z^2 = w where z and w are COMPLEX numbers, then is it still true to say that
    z = +/- √w ? Why or why not?

Q2) "Let az2 + bz + c =0, where a,b,c are COMPLEX numbers, a≠0.
    Then the usual quadratic formula still holds."

My concern is with the √(b2-4ac) part. How can we find √(b2-4ac) when b2-4ac is a COMPLEX number?
    For example, what does √(-1+4i) mean on its own and how can we find it? I know there is a general procedure(using polar form and angles) to solve for the nth root of a complex number (z^n=w), but I still don't understand what √(-1+4i) means on its own.
    Even for real numbers, there is a difference between solving x2=9 and finding √9, right? So is there any difference between finding √(-1+4i) and solving z2=-1+4i for z using polar form and angles?

2. Relevant equations
    Complex variables

3. The attempt at a solution
    As shown above.

I hope someone can explain these. Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

z = +/- √w loses meaning because there is no distinguished choice for √w. Normally we define √x to be the positive square root of x, but there's no such thing as positive and negative in the complex numbers. However what we CAN say is that if a2=w and b2=w, then a2-b2=0, and factoring (a-b)(a+b)=0. So a=b or a=-b

√(-1+4i) is just going to mean a complex number which, when squared, gives -1+4i. It doesn't specify which one, but for the quadratic formula it doesn't matter which one you pick, because they both work. When writing [tex] \pm[/tex] in the quadratic formula for real numbers, what you really mean is that you can use either square root of the number and you will get a root. The same holds for complex numbers as well

4. Sep 24, 2010 #3
    Q2) z= [-b +/- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)] / 2a

Say b^2 - 4ac turns out to be -1+4i
    Let w^2 = -1+4i. Use polar form and angles to solve for w, we get 2 solutions, call them w1 and w2.

And you mean we can pick either one of w1, w2 as √(-1+4i), right?
    Say if I pick w1, then the solutions will be
    z=[-b +/- w1] / 2a

Alternatively, if I pick w2, then the solutions will be
    z=[-b +/- w2] / 2a which will be the SAME as the above, right? Why are they the same?

Thanks for explaining!!

5. Sep 24, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

How are w1 and w2 related? Compare their polar forms.

ehild

6. Sep 25, 2010 #5
    I think w1 = -w2, but is this always true? Why or why not?

7. Sep 25, 2010 #6

ehild

Homework Helper

w1 and w2 can be written also in polar form:

as w=|w1|=|w2|,

and -1=e

w1=w eîφ and w2=-w1=w ei(φ+Π).

Use w1 and w2 in the quadratic form instead of ±.

ehild

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook