1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex Variable's Equation

1. Jun 25, 2013 #1
    I've been reading a book on complex variables and I came up with an equation which may or may not be useful but I thought it was interesting

Explanation
    Given a complex vector z = a + bi I can calculate z raised to the M + 1 power where M = 360/ArcTan(b/a)

Side Note
    Sorry I didn't give any reason to the alterations to the equations below but basically the logic behind the reason is that say z = |z|(cos(θ) + isin(θ)) then I know that zn = |z|n(cos(nθ) + isin(nθ)) and because I know trig functions repeat I know that the product will eventually rotate 360 degrees measured from vector z.

For example given z = |z|(cos(θ) + isin(θ)) and say zm = |z|m(cos(θ+ 2∏) + isin(θ+2∏)
    therefore z and zm are parallel and differ by some scalar

Equation
    zM+1 = [|z|M+1/|Z|M+1]zM+1 = [|z|M+1/|z|]z =[|z|M]z

zM+1 =[|z|M]z

It seems to only work when it has rotated around once but I can change that

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2013 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

4. Jun 25, 2013 #3
  5. Jun 25, 2013 #4
    For Example

(101+17i)360/ArcTan(17/101) + 1 = (101 + 17i)*√(101^2+17^2)360/ArcTan(17/101)

Notice that the left side is raised to a power greater than 1 while the right side is raised to the first power then multiplied by some constant

6. Jun 25, 2013 #5

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I wasn't implying you came up with it yourself, I was just suggesting something along the lines of what I thought you were doing. Is your exponentiation defined only for that specific value with ArcTan? And is that ArcTan a value in [0,2pi) ( since ArcTan is multiple-valued)?

I don't know if I understood correctly, but z and z^n are not always parallel; just take

z=x+ix ; then z^2=i2x , which is not parallel to x+ix.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  7. Jun 26, 2013 #6

if zn = zM+1 where M = 360/45 then zn is parallel to z where z = (x + ix)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted