Complex Variables Polynomial

In summary, Bruce Palka says that we can solve this problem by using the Cauchy Riemann relations. He explains that a real-differentiable function on a subset of the plane is complex-differentiable exactly where \partial f/\partial\overline{z} = 0. He also suggests trying to construct a real polynomial in one variable with zeroes at -1, 0, 1 that can be used as an inspiration.
jpb1980
Find a (complex) polynomial function f of x and y that is differentiable at the origin, with
df/dz = 1 at the point z=0, and differentiable at all points on the unit circle x^2 + y^2=1, but is not differentiable at any other point in the complex plane. (Bruce Palka, Page 101)

I think we use the Cauchy Riemann relations. I am having a hard time with this one.

I have tried (1+x^2 +y^2) + (1 + x^4 + 2 x^2 y^2 + y^4)*i but that did not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that a real-differentiable function [tex]f[/tex] on a subset of the plane is complex-differentiable exactly where [tex]\partial f/\partial\overline{z} = 0[/tex]. This means that the set of differentiability you are given, the union of the origin and the unit circle, should be the zero set of [tex]\partial f/\partial\overline{z}[/tex]. Try to construct a polynomial [tex]g[/tex] with this zero set, and then see if you can make [tex]f[/tex] with [tex]\partial f/\partial\overline{z} = g[/tex].

ystael said:
Remember that a real-differentiable function [tex]f[/tex] on a subset of the plane is complex-differentiable exactly where [tex]\partial f/\partial\overline{z} = 0[/tex]. This means that the set of differentiability you are given, the union of the origin and the unit circle, should be the zero set of [tex]\partial f/\partial\overline{z}[/tex]. Try to construct a polynomial [tex]g[/tex] with this zero set, and then see if you can make [tex]f[/tex] with [tex]\partial f/\partial\overline{z} = g[/tex].

I am aware of that identity, but I do not see how that will help me here. What you said makes perfect sense, but it does not help me construct the polynomial. I do know that, with a0 + a1*z + a2*z^2 +..., we would certainly have a1 =1. But otherwise, I'm stumped.

To get an idea for what the degree and the shape should look like, try to construct a real polynomial in one variable with zeroes at [tex]-1, 0, 1[/tex] that you can use as an inspiration. Hint: the obvious degree is cubic, but that's likely the wrong inspiration.

Nevermind. I have figured out all my other problems. This one is not meant to be. I dare say that only a few mathematician in the world could solve this one. No one online knows, lol. Anyhow, about your hint, (x-1)(x+1)*x = x^3-x. But I have already tried x-x^3 = y+y^3. It does not work. Even if I did (x^2-1)(x^2+1)*x^2, It would be of no use.

But hey, if all else fails, I have stumped some really smart people, lol.

In any event, thanks for trying. Your time is appreciated. At least you had the courtesy and dignity to tackle this problem. BTW, I'm not in grad school yet. I'm trying to solve every problem out of Palka's Complex Analysis book. There is no grade involved here. I leave here in sorrow not because I will lost grade points, but because there is something I cannot know.

What is a complex variable polynomial?

A complex variable polynomial is a mathematical expression that involves complex numbers and a variable raised to different powers. It is a polynomial function of a complex variable, where the coefficients and the variable can be complex numbers.

What are the key properties of complex variable polynomials?

Complex variable polynomials have the same key properties as real-variable polynomials, such as being continuous and differentiable. They also follow the same operations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

How are complex variable polynomials graphed?

Complex variable polynomials are graphed in the complex plane, with the real part of the polynomial plotted on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. The shape of the graph depends on the degree of the polynomial and the coefficients of the terms.

What are the main applications of complex variable polynomials?

Complex variable polynomials have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve problems involving electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They also have applications in signal processing and control systems.

How do complex variable polynomials differ from real-variable polynomials?

The main difference between complex variable polynomials and real-variable polynomials is that the variable in a complex polynomial can take on complex values, while the variable in a real polynomial can only take on real values. This means that complex variable polynomials have more complex solutions and can have more interesting and intricate graphs.