Proving Analytic Functions with Complex Variables

In summary, the homework equation 2*u_x' + 3*v_x' = 12 has three solutions where f(z) is constant. All four equations must hold for z in D for the Partial Derivatives to satisfy. Additionally, f(z) is independent of x, y on all D which means it is a constant.
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

Suppose f(z) is an analytic function on domain D, and suppose that, for all z in D, we have 2*Re(f(z)) + 3*Im(f(z))=12. prove that f(z) must be a constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok, I am drawing somewhat of blank with this one but I am guessing it has something to do with the partial derivatives.

since f(x +yi) = u(x,y) + i*v(x,y)

i rewrite the equations as 2*u(x,y) * 3*v(x,y) = 12

since f(z) is analytics on D, i know that

u_x' = v_y' and u_y' = - v_x'

but if I differentiate both sides of 2*(u,x) * 3*v(x,y) = 12 with respect to y and x I get a slope of 0 in each case, i.e

2*u_x' + 3*v_x' = 0

and

2*u_y' + 3*v_y' = 0

the only solution for these two equations to hold is one where f(z) is constant.

Is this correct?
any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
squaremeplease said:
2*u_x' + 3*v_x' = 0

and

2*u_y' + 3*v_y' = 0

the only solution for these two equations to hold is one where f(z) is constant.
Can you elaborate on this?

hmm elaborate how? I'm guessing I must've gotten something right.

when f(z) is constant f(z) = a + bi

since

f(x + iy) = a + bi for all x,y in R

and since

1) 2*u_x' + 3*v_x' = 0

and

2) 2*u_y' + 3*v_y' = 0

since it's analytic we know that

u_x' = v_y' and u_y' = - v_x'

but now, the only solutions for 1 and 2 to hold MUST be 0 ad f(z) is constant.

is this more clear, more importantly.. is it right? thanks!

you need to expand on this. all you've said is "bunch of equations, and so f(z)=const". to show that f(z)=const you need to show that f(z) is independent of z. remember, these four equations hold for all z in D.

1) 2*u_x' + 3*v_x' = 0

and

2) 2*u_y' + 3*v_y' = 0

since it's analytic we know that

3) u_x' = v_y' and u_y' = - v_x'

therefore, the partial derivatives need to satisfy 1, 2,3 and by substituting the derivatives from 3 into 1 and 2 , we see the following eq's also need to hold:

4) is also 2*v_y' - 3*u_y' = 0

5) is also 3*u_x' - 2*v_x' = 0

the only solution that satisfy 1,2,3,4,5 simultaniously is

u_x' = 0
u_y' = 0
v_x' = 0
v_y' = 0

which shows that f(z) is independent of x,y on all D and that f(z) is a constant.

now you need to finish this off. look at d/dz f(z) and analyticity.

d/dz f(z) = u_x' + i*v_x = v_y' - i*u_y'

d/dz f(z) = 0 + i*0 = 0 - i*0

f(z) = c

is this ok?

What is a complex variable proof?

A complex variable proof is a mathematical technique used to prove theorems and propositions involving complex numbers. It involves manipulating and analyzing equations and functions with complex variables.

Why are complex variable proofs important?

Complex variable proofs are important because they allow us to understand and solve problems in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and electrical engineering. They also provide a deeper understanding of the properties of complex numbers.

What are some common applications of complex variable proofs?

Complex variable proofs are commonly used in the fields of calculus, differential equations, and Fourier analysis. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

What are some key techniques used in complex variable proofs?

Some key techniques used in complex variable proofs include Cauchy's integral theorem, the Cauchy-Riemann equations, Laurent series, and the residue theorem. These techniques allow for the manipulation and evaluation of complex functions and their properties.

What are some tips for successfully solving complex variable proofs?

Some tips for successfully solving complex variable proofs include understanding the properties of complex numbers, practicing algebraic manipulation, and being familiar with the key techniques and theorems used in complex variable proofs. It is also important to carefully analyze the problem and break it down into smaller, manageable steps.