Complex Variables: Area Enclosed by Contour Formula

In summary, the area of the region enclosed by a positively oriented simple closed contour, ##C##, can be written as: $$A_C=\frac{1}{2i}\int_C\bar{z}\;dz$$ where $$f(z)=\overline{z}$$ is not analytic anywhere. Green's Theorem in the plane requires that f(z) be analytic for this to hold, and when combined with (1) and (2) for the function f(z)=\overline{z} the result is: $$A_C=\frac{1}{2i}\oint_C\overline{z}dz$$
eaglesmath15

Homework Statement

Show that if C is a positively oriented simple closed contour, then the area of the region enclosed by C can be written (1/2i)/∫C[itex]\bar{}z[/itex]dz.
Note that expression 4 Sec. 46 can be used here even though the function f(z)=[itex]\bar{}z[/itex] is not analytic anywhere.
FORMATTING NOTE: SHOULD BE Z BAR, NOT NEGATIVE Z.

Homework Equations

exspression 4 sec. 46: ∫Cf(z)dz=∫∫R(-vx-uy)dA+i∫∫R(ux-vy)dA.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool - what have you tried so far?
Do you now what all the terms in the problem statement mean at least?

Formatting note: here - let me help...

You want to show:

If ##C## is a, positively oriented, simple closed contour, then the area of the region enclosed by ##C## can be written $$A_C=\frac{1}{2i}\int_C\bar{z}\;dz$$

You can use: $$\int_C f(z)dz = \iint_R (-v_x-u_y)dA + i\iint_R (u_x-v_y)dA$$... even though ##f(x)=\bar{z}## is not analytic anywhere.

That better?
Use the "quote" button under this post to see how I did that ;)

Simon Bridge said:
Cool - what have you tried so far?
Do you now what all the terms in the problem statement mean at least?

Formatting note: here - let me help...

You want to show:

If ##C## is a, positively oriented, simple closed contour, then the area of the region enclosed by ##C## can be written $$A_C=\frac{1}{2i}\int_C\bar{z}\;dz$$

You can use: $$\int_C f(z)dz = \iint_R (-v_x-u_y)dA + i\iint_R (u_x-v_y)dA$$... even though ##f(x)=\bar{z}## is not analytic anywhere.

That better?
Use the "quote" button under this post to see how I did that ;)

Thanks! It looks like what I had tried before, but it hadn't worked, so I probably just missed something.

I haven't really tried anything yet, I'm not entirely sure where to begin.

eaglesmath15 said:
Thanks! It looks like what I had tried before, but it hadn't worked, so I probably just missed something.

What are u and v for the function ##f(z)=\bar z##? Start there.

eaglesmath15 said:
If PF just gave you a funny box with your latex in it, then you probably left of a brace somewhere. No worries.

Like Dick says ... look at the expression you are allowed to use: the LHS of it contains part of what you have to prove - which means you have to end up with something that has the RHS in it. The RHS has loads of u's and v's ... so you want to express f(z) in terms of u and v first - then try to work out the area enclosed.

eaglesmath15 said:
I'm not entirely sure where to begin.

(1) Start with the expression:

[tex]\oint_C f(z)dz=\oint_C (u+iv)dz=\oint_C (u+iv)(dx+idy)[/tex]

and does f(z) even have to be analytic for that to hold?

(2) Now review Green's Theorem in the plane. Does that theorem require f(z) to be analytic?

(3) What happens when I combine (1) and (2) for the function [itex]f(z)=\overline{z}[/itex]?

(4) And last and foremost, try it with a non-trivial example (circles won't do). Do it for a triangle contour.

What are complex variables?

Complex variables are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary part. They are represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part, b is the imaginary part, and i is the imaginary unit √(-1).

What is the purpose of studying complex variables?

Studying complex variables allows us to solve mathematical problems that cannot be solved using only real numbers. They have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

What are some common operations performed on complex variables?

Some common operations performed on complex variables include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and finding the complex conjugate. These operations follow specific rules and properties similar to those of real numbers.

How are complex numbers represented geometrically?

Complex numbers can be represented geometrically on a complex plane, where the real part corresponds to the x-axis and the imaginary part corresponds to the y-axis. The number a + bi can be located at the point (a,b) on the complex plane.

What is the significance of the complex conjugate?

The complex conjugate of a complex number a + bi is a - bi. This is important in many applications, such as finding the magnitude of a complex number or dividing complex numbers.