1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex variables; triangle

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let {z1,z2,z3} be complex variables such that |z1| = |z2| = |z3|. Prove that z1,z2,z3 are vertices of an equilateral triangle iff z1 + z2 + z3 = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not really sure where to start on this. I know that |z2-z1= |z3-z2| = |z3-z1|, but this information didn't get me very far. Any hints on how I should start this proof, or what other information I will need?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Divide your equation by z1. Now you have 1+z2/z1+z3/z1=0. So you can just work with the case 1+y1+y2=0 and |y1|=1 and |y2|=1. Does that make it seem easier?

4. Jan 21, 2008 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks that was quite helpful. Just one thing though... in the proof I needed to say that there exists just one equilateral triangle with (1,0) as a vertex, and has all the sides length 1 away from the origin. Is this as obvious as it intuitively seems to me, or do you think I should try to prove it?

5. Jan 21, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It may seem obvious, but you still have to prove it. If you have 1+y1+y2=0 and |y1|=|y2|=1, look the the real and imaginary parts of y1 and y2. You can actually solve for them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?