Proving Integral of Log(z+5) is 0 Around Contour z=1

In summary: The answer is actually 0, but I don't understand how it was solved. I know it might have something to do with the rule that says, the sum of the integral of a C1, C2 and C3 is equal to the integral of the outside contour, but how do i know the orientation of the three contours inside the big contour C.
soulsearching
Can anyone help me with this pls?

How can you prove that the integral of f(z) around the contour z= 1 is 0

where f(z) is Log(z+5)

Thx

I know Log(z) is ln r + i (theta). But i don't know how that applies to this situation.

Also, do I solve it as a normal integral or use the Cauchy Goursat theorem to prove that its integral is zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

soulsearching said:
How can you prove that the integral of f(z) around the contour z= 1 is 0

Also, do I solve it as a normal integral or use the Cauchy Goursat theorem to prove that its integral is zero?

Hi soulsearching! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Do you mean |z| = 1?

If so, then z + 5 is just the circle of radius 1 and centre at 5. It doesn't include the origin (z + 5 = 0), so yes … always do it the easy way … use Cauchy Goursat! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi soulsearching! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Do you mean |z| = 1?

If so, then z = 5 is just the circle of radius 1 and centre at 5. It doesn't include the origin (z + 5 = 0), so yes … always do it the easy way … use Cauchy Goursat! :smile:

So the point z = 5 is outside the contour, so the integral vanishes right? Thank you Tim.

When trying to show the same for this equation here around the same contour

f(Z) = (4z^2 -4z +5)^-1

I found the singularities here to be (1/2 + i) and (1/2-i). Is the integral zero because both singularities are outside the circle of radius 1? Thank you.

I have a major exam tmr and my professor is not being of much help, but I really appreciate your help. :-)

soulsearching said:
So the point z = 5 is outside the contour, so the integral vanishes right? Thank you Tim.

f(Z) = (4z^2 -4z +5)^-1

I found the singularities here to be (1/2 + i) and (1/2-i). Is the integral zero because both singularities are outside the circle of radius 1? Thank you.

I have a major exam tmr and my professor is not being of much help, but I really appreciate your help. :-)

Yes.

And in this case your integrand is analytic inside and on the circle |z| = 1, so again it's 0 by cauchy's.

Thanks Dan.

soulsearching said:

f(Z) = (4z^2 -4z +5)^-1

I found the singularities here to be (1/2 + i) and (1/2-i). Is the integral zero because both singularities are outside the circle of radius 1?

Looks good to me! :smile:

Also when trying to find the integral of (1/8z^3 -1) around the contour c=1.

I found the singularities to be 1/2, 1/2exp(2pi/3), and 1/2exp(4pi/3)

What is the next step here. Do I just assume the integral is 6pi(i) after using partial fractions to find the numerators of the 3 fractions.

The answer is actually 0, but I don't understand how it was solved. I know it might have something to do with the rule that says, the sum of the integral of a C1, C2 and C3 is equal to the integral of the outside contour, but how do i know the orientation of the three contours inside the big contour C.

Thanks, hope I am not asking too many questions

1. What is the definition of an integral?

The integral of a function is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of the output values of that function over a certain interval or region.

2. How do you prove that the integral of log(z+5) is 0 around contour z=1?

The first step in proving this integral is to parametrize the contour z=1. Then, use the definition of an integral to calculate the integral of log(z+5) over this contour. Finally, show that the result is equal to 0 by using the properties of logarithms and contour integrals.

3. Why is it important to prove the integral of a function?

Proving the integral of a function is important because it provides a mathematical foundation for understanding the behavior of that function. It also allows us to make predictions and solve problems related to that function.

4. What are some key techniques used in proving the integral of a function?

Some key techniques used in proving the integral of a function include parametrization of contours, using the definition of an integral, applying properties of logarithms, and using contour integral theorems such as Cauchy's Integral Theorem.

5. Can the integral of a function ever be undefined?

Yes, the integral of a function can be undefined if certain conditions are not met, such as the function being discontinuous or having a singularity within the contour of integration. In some cases, the integral may also approach infinity or negative infinity, making it undefined.