Complex Variables: Expressing f(z)=cos(z)

In summary, the task is to express the function f(z) = cos(z) as f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y), where i = sqrt(-1) and f(z) is a complex function. The attempt at a solution involves using the Euler's formula for complex numbers and simplifying the expressions to get f(z) = e-y cos x + i e-y sin x. Further steps may be needed to fully express the function in the desired form.
sara_87

Homework Statement

let:
f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)
I want to express the following function like the one above:
[tex]f(z)=cos(z)\equiv=\frac{1}{2}(e^{iz}+e^{-iz})[/tex]

Homework Equations

(i=sqrt(-1))
f(z) is a complex function

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}(e^{i(x+iy)}+e^{-i(x+iy)})=\frac{1}{2}(e^{x-iy}+e^{-xi+y})[/tex]

this is where i stopped because i got stuck. any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
sara_87 said:

Homework Statement

let:
f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y)
I want to express the following function like the one above:

Homework Equations

(i=sqrt(-1))
f(z) is a complex function

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}(e^{i(x+iy)}+e^{-i(x+iy)})=\frac{1}{2}(e^{x-iy}+e^{-xi+y})[/tex]

this is where i stopped because i got stuck. any help please?
Check your work in the expression before the last =.
i(x + iy) = ix + i2y = -y + ix. The other one is OK.

So one of your expressions will be e-y + ix = e-yeix = e-y(cos x + i sin x) = e-y cos x + i e-y sin x. Do about the same thing to the other expression and add the two together.

1. What is a complex variable?

A complex variable is a mathematical quantity that has both a real and an imaginary part. It is typically represented by the letter z and can be expressed as z = x + iy, where x and y are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the function f(z) = cos(z)?

The function f(z) = cos(z) is a complex-valued function that maps a complex number z to another complex number. It represents the cosine of the complex variable z, where z can be any complex number.

3. How is f(z) = cos(z) graphed in the complex plane?

The graph of f(z) = cos(z) in the complex plane is a continuous curve that oscillates between -1 and 1 on the real axis, and has a period of 2π along the imaginary axis.

4. What is the relationship between complex variables and trigonometric functions?

Complex variables can be used to represent and manipulate trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can be expressed as complex functions, where the real part is the original trigonometric function and the imaginary part is equal to zero.

5. How is f(z) = cos(z) used in real-world applications?

The function f(z) = cos(z) has many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It is used to model and analyze a wide range of phenomena, including waves, vibrations, and electrical circuits.